PDA

View Full Version : e100 module always comes up in half duplex mode

userwaldo
05-14-2005, 12:43 AM
i can't figure out how to pass parameters to a module a boot time.
the resaon i need to do this is that my e100 networking card is not coming at full speed and its really slow.

The paremater i need to pass to the e100 boot module is:
e100_speed_duplex=4

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/1000/linux/e100.htm

I tried to rmmod my the e100 module and reload it with this pararmeter, but I couldn't reload it. I kept saying the that device or module was in use.

Can anyone help me figure out how to pass this parameter so that I can use my nic card at full speed?

Harry Kuhman
05-14-2005, 12:52 AM
i can't figure out how to pass parameters to a module a boot time.
the resaon i need to do this is that my e100 networking card is not coming at full speed and its really slow.

The paremater i need to pass to the e100 boot module is:
e100_speed_duplex=4

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/1000/linux/e100.htm

I tried to rmmod my the e100 module and reload it with this pararmeter, but I couldn't reload it. I kept saying the that device or module was in use.

Can anyone help me figure out how to pass this parameter so that I can use my nic card at full speed?

Why do you believe that the card is working in half duplex? Frankly, unless you are transfering large files in both directions at the same time, I doubt very much if you could spot the difference between a card working in half duplex and full duplex. One more likely problem might be the card negoiating 10x rather than 100x speed. But the most likely problem of all is that you are using it to connect to a Microsoft system. You do know that Microsoft deliberately talks slower to a Linux system just to screw with you dodn't you? (at least this is what I hear from people at Cisco). You might want to see how well Knoppix talks to things other than Microsoft before you judge that you have a problem at all.

Markus
05-14-2005, 06:41 PM
[OT]

You do know that Microsoft deliberately talks slower to a Linux system just to screw with you dodn't you? (at least this is what I hear from people at Cisco). Really? Hmm, seemed quite snappy when I just tried it. Normal browsing only though. Still, I wonder if Opera ever made the swedish cook version for linux?