PDA

View Full Version : One very scared Newbie.

grandad
05-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi there. I am running Win ME and have the Knoppix Live CD which I have been trying out for a while. I like the idea of using Knoppix, but have been unable to get it to locate the Speedtouch USB modem which my ISP Karoo supplied a part of their set up. So I eventually discovered that I will never achieve this unless I install Knoppix on my hard drive.

Okay so I thought I would make my system into a dual boot one, untill I am happy with Knoppix and have everything I need set up. Sadly it isn't that easy. I have the book Knoppix Hacks, which told me to type at boot up, knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo knoppix-installer Sure enough I did this only to be told repeatedly that this could not be found. Thats strange surely because apparently it is on the CD.

So I foolishly thought, well I will have a look at qtpartition which the author mentions. There I found the following.

01 /dev/hda-1 free 0.03MB
02 /dev/hda-1 fat32 38.29 GB
03 /dev/hda-1 free 0.18MB

Obviously at this stage I froze because I just do not know what to do with the information. I know that at 72 I am perhaps stupid for even thinking of going into something that is obviously a very tricky business. But......I am so unhappy with Windows.

Maybe someone has knowledge of why the info in the book Knoppix Hacks did not work? It sure bugs me that it didn't work. Then again maybe it is a good thing or I might have done so damage that is not easilly undone. Thanks for letting me unburden myself here. Whatever the outcome. Regards. Grandad.

fingers99
05-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Did you type all of this:

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo knoppix-installer

?

You should have just typed:

sudo knoppix-installer

Do run a full defrag and scandisk of Windows (from Windows) before resizing the largest Windows partition.

Don't worry about the age thing: there are very few of us on this forum who tell girls we are older than we are, and it's quite usual for a newbie to make 3 or 4 attempts before a successful install.

Freitag
05-15-2005, 01:00 PM
You might also look at some books that walk you through Knoppix. O'Reilly has an excellent book called
"Knoppix Hacks" I believe.

Cheers,
Freitag

grandad
05-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Hello Fingers99 and Freitag. Many thanks for coming in to help me. Yes, I did type it all in because thats what I was told to type in. This is from the book 'Knoppix Hacks' by Kyle Rankin. But having had a second look at the book in question, I can see that sudo knoppix-installer is actually in bolder type than the rest. If the author had written type in the command in bold, then I would have done so. But there you are, thats me all over.

Oh boy, I can see that there will be some stormy seas ahead and I shall have to be extra careful of what I type in in future. Thanks again for being so kind and for the help given. Regards Grandad.