PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.8.1 unable to find my home folder

kayodeok
05-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Hi

I have been running knoppix 3.6 for months on my PC with a home folder on my hard-drive.

In order to boot knoppix 3.6, I normally do:

boot: knoppix26 home=/dev/sdb5/knoppix

and this has served me well for months.

Over the weekend, I managed to get a copy of knoppix 3.8.1. At first, I booted it without any settings in order to confirm that the location of my home folder is still /dev/sdb5/knoppix. Then I rebooted but this time with the following parameters:

boot: knoppix home=/dev/sdb5/knoppix

But knoppix 3.8.1 is unable to locate my home folder?

I have two hard drives on this PC, both are SATA drives and both have multiple partitions. The partition from on which my knoppix home folder resides is formatted as ext3.

Does anyone know why knoppix 3.6 has no problem finding my home folder but knoppix 3.8.1 is unable to locate and use it?

I have tried home=scan (though I think it isn't appropriate here) but with no success.

I have tried to create another "persistent setting" but knoppix 3.8.1 is only offering to allow me to create an img file? It isn't giving me an option to use one of my existing partitions (yeah, I know it would have wiped the home folder but I was desperate at the time). I did initially accept the option to create an image file but then I couldn't find my home folder with knoppix 3.6 until I deleted knoppix.img I think knoppix 3.6 was defaulting to knoppix.img as the home folder until I removed it.

I am now back using knoppix 3.6 with my home folder on /dev/sdb5/knoppix (I had similar troubles with knoppix 3.7). Does anyone know why it appears that only knoppix 3.6 is able to find and use one of my partitions as its home folder and none of the later versions can do this?

Thanks

kayodeok

doublepoor
05-30-2005, 05:05 PM
try knoppix v 3.8.2 it can read your sata hard disk