PDA

View Full Version : im new to the forums and a quick question

wayne
05-17-2005, 12:02 AM
hello im new the the fourms and ive been playing with knoppix linux for a while now i like it and we just got cable internet so i can go online now anyway i kneed to konw the easyest way to intall new programs to linux thats the only thing i deffanantly can not do right now and i need some help please explain it if you can as easly as possable

thanks in advanced for helping

oh by the way if it helps im running knoppix 3.7 i believe

fingers99
05-17-2005, 12:21 AM
Are you running knoppix fronm a CD or a HD install?

If from a CD, then the only way to install is with klix (see the link in the Index)-

If from HD, and it's a Debian or beginners install, then connect to the Internet, pop open a terminal (the TV screen icon, bottom left of the taskbar), su to root and do:

apt-get update && apt-get install synaptic

Synaptic is a GUI front end to apt-get and a very easy way to install packages. There's a big section on apt-get here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638).

wayne
05-17-2005, 03:53 AM
im running from a hd install a beginners install

(ok i did that now what it went throu alot of like http links and downloaded stuff what do i do next)

wayne
05-17-2005, 05:09 AM
you wouldent be talking about kpackage would you? i wa slooking thour it and i seen apt get or somthing like it there

also let me say this here while im here
ive pretty mucj been using windows and alittle of mac in my old school i dont like mac and im starting to not like windows that much
i do like linux its diffrent i was wondering
1why does my cable modem stop working with my computer after about like an hour it like drops the connection the modems still on but no connection

2 what kinda of packages should i look for when downloding stuff like rpm or deb or what

3 what are dependiancys i was trying to install an rpm of limeware and it said dependiancies not met yet

4 should i be worried about viruses spyware/adware ect i herd that there are little viruses on linux

and 5 in your opinion is linux better than windows
(i only ask as a new person trying to find out info)

sorry is im asking to much i just want to learn linux enuff to use it so i dont have to use windows as much
and i am half asleep now so thanks every one for helpin so far (i konw ive only been here for like 10 minutes but again i say im half asleep )

im off to bed ill check back tomarrow or later depending on what time it is

wayne
owner of the land of kai game
landofkai.tk

fingers99
05-17-2005, 06:55 PM
im running from a hd install a beginners install

(ok i did that now what it went throu alot of like http links and downloaded stuff what do i do next)

Connect tothe Internet

pop open a Konsole (TV like icon at bottom left of taskbar) type:

synaptic [enter]

in it. You'll get a prompt for the root password, enter it

and synaptic will load. You can view all the packages which you could install (and have installed).

fingers99
05-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Use .deb packages (this is Debian, after all!) and use apt-get to install them.

Limewire isn't great. Use the search engine in Synaptic to search for

peer to peer (you need names and descriptions).

I use gtk-gnutella, but there are others.

Synaptic (and apt-get) will satisfy any dependencies automatically (which is why many people use DEbian).

wayne
05-17-2005, 07:56 PM
ill give that a try thanks as for the p2p thing thnks for that also

and about my other question about viruses and securety as linux safer and less prone to viruses?

wayne
05-17-2005, 08:13 PM
ok i typed that in to see if anything would work and it said bad command and nothing happened
ill later try to re install knoppix on my pc i was playing with stuff in it and i want to try on a clean install
so let me try that and see if that doesent work

wayne
05-17-2005, 09:50 PM
also on a side note can i use klik to install stuff on an hd install

fingers99
05-17-2005, 10:11 PM
also on a side note can i use klik to install stuff on an hd install

AFAIK, you can't.

try:

sudo synaptic

I've got the DEbian install of Knoppix on HD: it may be that the commands are a bit different.

wayne
05-18-2005, 01:39 AM
ok never mind about all that i really need to konw how to keep my cable connection active it keeps dropping after from anywhere from 20 minutes 4 minutes it drops how can i keep it alive if i can get that figured out ill be happy

i have a netgear ethernet card and a cable modem moterola surfboard