PDA

View Full Version : i can't unmount my cdrom

waellinux
05-17-2005, 01:50 PM
when i make right click on the cdrom icon on desktop i can't find (unmount)i tried to unomunt it from the commanline what shall i do?
i must restart my computer 2 make the tray out.

Dave_Bechtel
05-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Search the forum for "Poor man's install"

Since Knoppix is running from the CD, that's why you can't eject it. You have to copy the big knoppix file to HD and run it from there so it frees up the cd drive.

when i make right click on the cdrom icon on desktop i can't find (unmount)i tried to unomunt it from the commanline what shall i do?
i must restart my computer 2 make the tray out.

waellinux
05-17-2005, 08:43 PM
i have already installed knoppix on HDD
and i can't unmount my cdrom

Harry Kuhman
05-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Oh, if only we had a forum where people could ask questions about a hard disk install there rather than not even mentioning that they have done a hard disk install when posing their questions in another forum .....

fingers99
05-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Do you get an error message? Usually failure to unmount happens because the CDROM is actually being read at the time: this can be something as inocuous as having a Konqueror window open (close them).

You might try (from the command line):

su
(prompt for root password)
umount /mnt/cdrom

or, if that doesn't work

umount -l /mnt/cdrom

If all else fails, there's a hole for an unbent paper clip in the front of every CD drive for this very eventuality.........

Dave_Bechtel
05-18-2005, 05:36 AM
[[If all else fails, there's a hole for an unbent paper clip in the front of every CD drive for this very eventuality.........
]]

:) Before trying that though (that's a LAST RESORT) - try ( as root )
' eject /dev/cdrom '

Do you get an error message? Usually failure to unmount happens because the CDROM is actually being read at the time: this can be something as inocuous as having a Konqueror window open (close them).

You might try (from the command line):

su
(prompt for root password)
umount /mnt/cdrom

or, if that doesn't work

umount -l /mnt/cdrom

If all else fails, there's a hole for an unbent paper clip in the front of every CD drive for this very eventuality.........