PDA

View Full Version : knoppix wish list, what would be nice if it was added:)

12-26-2002, 09:41 AM
I just would like to start a list of software that would be nice if it was added to knoppix.
1.Some of the major language support for Abi Word; us, nl, german, spanisch and whatever dictonary, so that spell will work!
2. A GUI firewall! Some linux distros will sell at very big prices their linux fire wall, now if knoppix had two or three choises of firewall it will be a great alternative!
3.WebSuck, a small program to mirror websites, would be nice.
4. The new Flash plugin, that is being developed in the debian development tree!
5. A Media player/quicktime/realplayer, viewer if there is a free alternative for this, please add it!
6. A p2p program, like gnutella can be usefull!?
7. The soundblaster drivers, for SB 16bit, and 4.1, 5.1 etc!
8. Small HTTP server.
9. New themes for KDE, Xmms and Mozilla!
10. VPN / Dutch ADSL protocol setup, added.
11. Maybe a seperate distrobution that will focus on children so that they can play games and get to learn to love linux, and knoppix!
Well thats it for now, i hope too see some of it in the next version, or a remastered version that will have an iso image.
Good Luck and greetings from Cybernout <nick irc channnel>

:roll:

Rixel
12-27-2002, 12:12 AM
- Include a script for remastering!

- A way put pass boot args without typing, or perhaps one or two key combinations for args, so the buffer can pass them automatically (ie F2=Knoppix floppyconfig)

- A distro with only a web browser, email and perhaps news client.

Rixel

Thomas
01-01-2003, 08:41 AM
Suggestions:

1) NTpasswd - For resetting the Administrator password on NT and W2K boxes.
makes knoppix a multi platform rescue disk
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

2) AOL client - For convincing your boss that this thing is a "real" computer OS
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pengaol/

3) Simple Clustering software - Basic high Availability, easy setup for educational purposes
http://linux-ha.org/download/

A. Jorge Garcia
01-01-2003, 09:46 PM
I'm intrigued by your #3, what ed purposes do you envision supported by clustered networks?

Thomas
01-02-2003, 03:01 AM
As an intro to clustering - an active/passive demo:

1 - set up 2 nodes with matching webserver contents (pop in Knoppix CD)
2 - have one student log into the virtual ip with telnet another with http
telnet connection should verify he is actually on node 1 (use hostname -a )
3 - fail node 1 (power off)

the telnet session should die, the web surfer should not notice any change.
Telnet back into the virtual ip. Telnet session will now be running on node 2.
You have just demonstrated a sucessful fail over in a HA enviorment.
Class, Please notice the lack of impact on a web connection when hardware dies.

Topics for lecture - High availability, session oriented vs connection oriented protocols, recovery concerns. gratuitious ARP.

for next class - Fail over (active/passive) vs distributed workload (active/active) clustering. Study notes on Mosix and Beowulf

Demonstration outlined above was done after we installed heartbeat on two RH servers at work. We used a crossover cable for the cluster connection, but for a classroom demo, you could use a single network cable for cluster and network. The virtual ip is transferred via "gratuitious ARP" where the backup refreshes the ARP cache with his own physical address in response to a failure of the primary.

David Douthitt
02-15-2003, 08:46 PM
I don't normally pitch for too many extras - there is only so much room, even if it is almost a Gig of space... :-)

However, I was started to see that ksh is missing from the CD. :-( First thing I do on every install is convert the standard shell to ksh. In particular, I'm talking about pdksh (not AT&T ksh). If you're REALLY strapped for space:

ln -s /bin/ash /bin/ksh

...but I don't see that as necessary...

Having Sylpheed on CD would be nice, but that's 8Megs (at least!) of fluff...

David Douthitt
02-15-2003, 08:53 PM
I just would like to start a list of software that would be nice if it was added to knoppix.

2. A GUI firewall! Some linux distros will sell at very big prices their linux fire wall, now if knoppix had two or three choises of firewall it will be a great alternative!

I would recommend fwbuilder. Very nice! Supports both ipchains (Linux 2.4.x) and ipf (BSD).

3.WebSuck, a small program to mirror websites, would be nice.

$ wget -m

8. Small HTTP server.

$ sudo /etc/init.d/thttpd start

9. New themes for KDE, Xmms and Mozilla!

Install them as knoppix, then save ~knoppix/.kde (minus cruft) and ~knoppix/.xmms and ~knoppix/.mozilla to your favorite large permanent storage. Or even - make those directories into links pointing to NFS mounts - maybe even automounted...

11. Maybe a seperate distrobution that will focus on children so that they can play games and get to learn to love linux, and knoppix!

Thought there was one - but anyway, now you can strip out the abilities to change things in KDE 3.1...

yohanman
02-17-2003, 07:56 PM
loadlin would come in handy.
It isn't that big, with overburning it fit's on the original 3.1 iso.

aay
02-17-2003, 10:51 PM
I just would like to start a list of software that would be nice if it was added to knoppix....

:roll:

EADZ's KnoppixKDE has a nice gui firewall: Gurard Dog. I'd doesn't have all the apps that the official Knoppix has (e.g. no Open Office) but I was pleased to discover Guard Dog.

EADZ is working on a version 2 of KnoppixKDE, but i'm not sure what will be on it.

MichielioZ
02-19-2003, 01:11 PM
- Include a script for remastering!

Rixel
Hopefully you can get something out of my scripts then...
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=851
(if the links there work; they seem to get people some problems)

Dan_Netwalker
02-20-2003, 09:46 PM
The edonkey/kazaa client and the websuck thing was something I am already working on for my personal version (I'm quite used to find a small website about something interesting and mirroring the first 2 or 3 levels with teleport or someting), and if I get it working and I still understand how (:P) i'll put a mini-mini-howto about how it's done. It's not so hard, but the main problem is disk space. In my humble opinion, there are some missused space in the distro (like two or three diferent programs all of them solitaire games, for example), and the free music in the CD, it sounds quite good but isn't it 50MB of missused space on the CD? Please, don't flame me, I know someone worked hard for those songs but, why don't just a link the the online copy, since not everybody "needs" to listen them? That space could be used on a firewall and config tool, or the web mirroring tool, or something usefull for some people. If you don't want to take the music away, at least put it on the compressed image, so it cost less space. Just my opinion...

trueocker
02-24-2003, 04:52 AM
Synaptic Please!