View Full Version : Version 3.2-2003-04-15

Stephen
04-15-2003, 03:35 AM
Change log:
* V3.2-2003-04-15 (updates)
- New "noaudio" boot option, prevents sound from being probed
- SCSI controllers are now probed in knoppix-autoconfig, if no
"noscsi" option is present.
- OpenOffice update to 1.0.3 (german+english)
- kmahjongg (the old Gnome1 mahjongg got lost in the last update)
- knx-alsa package update (Fabian Franz)
- Removed some orphaned menu entries in KDE
- Added configure-xawtv by Fabian Franz and Kai Lahmann
- Changed default mouse protocol from PS/2 to "auto" for XFree 4.3,
as suggested by Kai Lahmann

bamarob
04-15-2003, 04:15 PM
What are the chances of getting the usbdnet modules in there? I tried compiling them in my self and ended up with a kernel panic. I'm no kernel compiling guru, so I'm seeking the expertise of the community to enable me to communicate between Knoppix and my Zaurus. :)

Thanks,

BamaRob

NoPic's
04-15-2003, 09:38 PM
How about myconfig=scan by default ?

The official word is that is done with F2 to prevent trojans etc. - so it ain't gona happen. So looks like I'm back to a CD / Floppy combo :-)

Citrix client good
Host AP mode would be nice too

Note: Back in Ireland we do not use US keyboards.
(We also don't have broadband - so it takes a bit of time to get the latest CD - and the internet is much faster with "NoPictures" )

thedank
04-16-2003, 01:58 AM
I don't know everyone behind the development and releasing of these updates but I applaud Stephen, Fabian and Kai. I followed demoLinux for a while but the lack of upgrades got me discouraged. Thanks for renewing my faith in open-source development. Also, thanks for the alsa and English Open Office menus! :D Are there any objections to adding a Citrix client? Thanks again.

Stephen
04-16-2003, 04:00 AM
I don't know everyone behind the development and releasing of these updates but I applaud Stephen, Fabian and Kai. I followed demoLinux for a while but the lack of upgrades got me discouraged. Thanks for renewing my faith in open-source development. Also, thanks for the alsa and English Open Office menus! :D
I can't take credit for any of the developement but I'm sure Klaus, Fabian, Kai and the rest of the people working hard appreciate the support.

Are there any objections to adding a Citrix client? Thanks again.

Probably available space in the ISO. :wink:

true1ever
04-17-2003, 05:57 PM
I am working on a script to enable citrix client. Once I have it tested I will post it in the Customize forum.

regards,
Jim

oscar
04-18-2003, 05:27 AM
Change log:

I think that it is not the best idea this script. Selecting system television is fine, but scanning for channels (more than 100 channels) before launching xawtv is very slow and it is not very usefull. It is fast and easy selecting channels with up an down keys and is no need for previous scanning of channels. Scanning for channels should be optional
This script is great for first time xawtv configuration but with knoppix always is the first time if do you not use persistent home.

Thanks

Stephen
04-18-2003, 06:06 AM
Change log:

I think that it is not the best idea this script. Selecting system television is fine, but scanning for channels (more than 100 channels) before launching xawtv is very slow and it is not very usefull. It is fast and easy selecting channels with up an down keys and is no need for previous scanning of channels. Scanning for channels should be optional
This script is great for first time xawtv configuration but with knoppix always is the first time if do you not use persistent home.

Thanks

You should file a bug (http://www.knoppix.net/bugs/) report to have an option and it probably will be added.

oscar
04-18-2003, 07:38 PM
żbug report? ...but it is no a bug, it is only an undesirable behavior for a live-cd...
I suggest to add other link in Multimedia menu, renaming the actual xawtv to xawtv-configure and adding xawtv-start (/usr/bin/xawtv).

thanks

Stephen
04-21-2003, 12:53 AM
żbug report? ...but it is no a bug, it is only an undesirable behavior for a live-cd...

If you wish to change the behavior of the CD you are welcome to re-master your own version.

I suggest to add other link in Multimedia menu, renaming the actual xawtv to xawtv-configure and adding xawtv-start (/usr/bin/xawtv).

thanks

And if you do not file a bug against the package the people responsible will never know about your suggestion.

oscar
04-21-2003, 01:40 AM
If you wish to change the behavior of the CD you are welcome to re-master your own version.

:lol:

Henk Poley
04-21-2003, 09:10 AM
- knx-alsa package update (Fabian Franz)
Hmm, if I now start Knoppix with "knoppix alsa" I get a bunch of errors, but can use my sound, OSS only though! My webcam still steals audio.o when I boot in the the normal (autodetect) mode.

I'll post the error messages if you think it would help.

Stephen
04-21-2003, 09:55 AM
I'll post the error messages if you think it would help.
It can not hurt the worst that can happen is the maintainer of the package ignores your submission or there is no solution to the problem. How can they fix the problem if they do not know about it?

Henk Poley
04-22-2003, 06:05 PM
It can not hurt the worst that can happen is the maintainer of the package ignores your submission or there is no solution to the problem. How can they fix the problem if they do not know about it?
There is no problem, at least not for me. And I wasn't booted in Knoppix, so I couldn't see the messages.

I just wanted to say that this was wierd behaviour, but got my webcam working together with my soundcard. Been the first time I heard that boot voice, guess it had been there all along?

But anyways, here they are:

[..(normal) boot messages..]
Soundcard:
AGP bridge detected.
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-device-0-0
[..autodetect messages for my nVidia GF4MX400..]
Preparing modules for alsa...
Building card database...
Configuring intel8x0...
Running update-modules...
Setting default volumes...
insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/extra/modules.dep
insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/extra/modules.dep
Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab... insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/extra/modules.dep
Done.
Using swap partition /dev/hda10.
Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP.insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/extra/modules.dep
(backgrounding)
Automounter started for: floppy cdrom cdrom1
INIT: Entering Runlevel 5
[..normal X start..]

Just thought about this, I'll do a " knoppix testcd" . Yup, I checked the MD5 before burning.

Stephen
04-22-2003, 07:07 PM
I just wanted to say that this was wierd behaviour, but got my webcam working together with my soundcard. Been the first time I heard that boot voice, guess it had been there all along?

That's how I know the sound is working.;)

I get similar errors alsa does not like my sound card at all.

Henk Poley
04-22-2003, 09:18 PM
'testcd' didn't bring up any errors. Simulataniously booted without webcam, same modprobe errors...

Fabianx
04-23-2003, 12:39 PM
There is no problem, at least not for me. And I wasn't booted in Knoppix, so I couldn't see the messages.

But anyways, here they are:

Soundcard:
AGP bridge detected.
[..autodetect messages for my nVidia GF4MX400..]
Preparing modules for alsa...
Building card database...
Configuring intel8x0...
Running update-modules...
Setting default volumes...
Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab... insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/extra/modules.dep
Done.
Using swap partition /dev/hda10.
Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP.insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/extra/modules.dep
(backgrounding)
Automounter started for: floppy cdrom cdrom1
INIT: Entering Runlevel 5
[..normal X start..]

Those "errors" are just warnings. You can ignore the more-recent-messages.

The "Can't locate module sound-slot-0" is before alsa is even started. So you can ignore that too.

I'm sorry, I'm terribly busy atm, but I'll look into this, when I have the time. Uhm, next week ?

cu

Fabian (Author of alsa-support)

thedank
04-23-2003, 09:50 PM
I am working on a script to enable citrix client. Once I have it tested I will post it in the Customize forum.

regards,
Jim

Did you create this yet? I took a look in the Customize forum but didn't see anything. I've been able to run Citrix by downloading it and creating an enviornmental variable for $ICAROOT; as the install can't use the default install path I set it to run from /ramdisk/. Recently, however, I've been unable to get Citrix to connect to our servers. I'm not sure if I set it up incorrectly or if something in Knoppix had changed; I didn't take notes the first time I got it to work months ago. :roll: I think the ideal condition would be to use a persistent directory (like a USB key drive) - start the Knoppix in scan and have it find the saved config files on the persistent directories for Citrix to start. For Win clients that die here, I can't think of a better way to get them back up on Citrix/Outlook in a bind then to walk over to their machine, plug in a USB key, pop in a Knoppix CD, and voila!

Henk Poley
04-26-2003, 08:54 AM
Soundcard:
BTW, I recently booted my 'first ever' Knoppix CD again, a late 3.1er. Contrary to the 3.2 version it does state my soundcard there, some C-Media intel8x0 compatible on-board sound.

btw, with 3.2, booting "knoppix alsa", I still need to use OSS for audio, so there is definately something not working. I'm not sure if ALSA has support for my card anyways.

I'll post the lpci -v output for soundcard when I boot Knoppix, and/or get my Debian/Knoppix hdinstall running again. I've probably posted it already here somewhere, and you could off coarse look it up on some 3.1er version.

puccio
04-26-2003, 09:40 AM
I'm an italian user and here i want to do my greats to all staff of Knoppix. I use Linux since 2000 and now, i love knoppix :D
I'm a journalist and a security expert but i love very much programming. I will develop something also for Knoppix

Coming soon...

Vincenzo 'PuCCiO' Ciaglia
http://www.pucciolab.org

Fabianx
04-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Soundcard:
BTW, I recently booted my 'first ever' Knoppix CD again, a late 3.1er. Contrary to the 3.2 version it does state my soundcard there, some C-Media intel8x0 compatible on-board sound.

btw, with 3.2, booting "knoppix alsa", I still need to use OSS for audio, so there is definately something not working. I'm not sure if ALSA has support for my card anyways.

I'll post the lpci -v output for soundcard when I boot Knoppix, and/or get my Debian/Knoppix hdinstall running again. I've probably posted it already here somewhere, and you could off coarse look it up on some 3.1er version.

Hey, alsa does have OSS emulation. Does your card work or not ? All other issues were fixed by a new release of knx-alsa. :-)) [ I mean those error-messages; thx for the report I ahd more time that I thought ;-)]

Those will be in next .iso.

cu

Fabian

Henk Poley
04-26-2003, 04:06 PM
Hey, alsa does have OSS emulation. Does your card work or not ? All other issues were fixed by a new release of knx-alsa. :-)) [ I mean those error-messages; thx for the report I ahd more time that I thought ;-)]

Uhm, OSS emu is to run OSS programs on ALSA supported cards, not the other way around, isn't it?

btw, when I boot plain knoppix (a well " knoppix lang=nl), I get no welcome message (voice), but when I set artsd to use OSS (or autodetect) it works (my mouse with mousewheel too :-)) I also just saw that my soundcard is display'd during autodetect in this mode.

If I boot with "knoppix alsa" then I do get the voice and OSS (or autodetect) works, not ALSA.

lspci -v output:

00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator (rev a0)
Subsystem: C-Media Electronics Inc: Unknown device 0300
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
I/O ports at dc00 [size=256]
I/O ports at d800 [size=64]
Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2

Henk Poley
04-26-2003, 05:02 PM
btw, nice that (almost) all the windowmanagers show up in kdm when logging in. :-)

But where's xfce? I like the CDE look *cough* :-P

As a sidenote, does somebody know if a hdinstalled Knoppix would run on a P100-40MB? In graphics mode. Booting it off CD is a PITA, the ramdrive takes about 73% of your RAM... Would the 30MB extra help a lot? If so I'd ditch my -working, but- old Suse 6.4 install and tweak xfce so it has all the nice programs in the panels (please, replace the Netscape button/menu with Mozilla/Konqueror).

MAB
04-27-2003, 01:51 PM
I have a trouble with reading my own configuration from floppy. It seems to that it try read cfg from floppy at time, when floppy isnt till mounted.

ie: knoppix=/mnt/auto/floppy raise /dev/auto: No such file or directory

this is in this new version also, (now i run older, also the same trouble), but interesting is,
that if i save my configuration on zip media so knoppix myconf=scan same as
knoppix myconf=/dev/sda4 so this configuration it finds. Rem: floppy working, its after KDE running
normally mounted. Tested on two computers, at home and in faculty.

Also agree with idea, pass knoppix myconfig=scan into default iso, where will be something like:

Trying to find personal configuration #1
Trying to find personal configuration #2
Trying to find personal configuration #3

without questioning if try again when not found. In fact for this, that it will be fully
automatized and start without user activity, with or without personal config, without
stopping in case that nothing were found.

Also thing, it will be beter to implement wheelmouse into default iso with cause, that can
be called knoppix nowheel if someone will have trouble with wheelmouse protocol.

Dont get me stone, if i said somewhere something not clear :-)

Fabianx
04-27-2003, 04:10 PM
I have a trouble with reading my own configuration from floppy. It seems to that it try read cfg from floppy at time, when floppy isnt till mounted.

ie: knoppix=/mnt/auto/floppy raise /dev/auto: No such file or directory

this is in this new version also, (now i run older, also the same trouble), but interesting is,
that if i save my configuration on zip media so knoppix myconf=scan same as
knoppix myconf=/dev/sda4 so this configuration it finds. Rem: floppy working, its after KDE running
normally mounted. Tested on two computers, at home and in faculty.

Also agree with idea, pass knoppix myconfig=scan into default iso, where will be something like:

Trying to find personal configuration #1
Trying to find personal configuration #2
Trying to find personal configuration #3

without questioning if try again when not found. In fact for this, that it will be fully
automatized and start without user activity, with or without personal config, without
stopping in case that nothing were found.

Also thing, it will be beter to implement wheelmouse into default iso with cause, that can
be called knoppix nowheel if someone will have trouble with wheelmouse protocol.

Dont get me stone, if i said somewhere something not clear :-)

Hm, I'm sorry, but what you said is obsoleted ;-)

For floppy use: "knoppix floppyconf"

It is a really bad idea to use wheelmouse as default. The mouse will not work at all on those pcs, now only the wheel does not work, and that is fair better. But this issue is solved:

In 04-18 is Mouse-Protocol = auto, and for some mice (actually just one laptop was found incomptible, all others were automatically detected) a new cheatcode "nowheel" will be added in next ISO.

cu

Fabian

MAB
04-29-2003, 05:08 AM
oki, test it, now try to localize, tx :shock: