PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix / Debian Kernel compilation

asearle
05-18-2005, 01:04 PM
I am running Knoppix 3.8 (Debian 3.1, Linux 2.6.11 i686) and would like to install drivers for new hardware (a LinModem) but find that, when I try to install the drivers they ask for the Linux source build which aparently is expected to be in /usr/src/linux.

There were no file in the directory so I went into KPackage and downloaded the Kernal image for 2.6.11. This operation took several minutes.

This created a new directory /usr/src/linux-2.6.11 but this directory also seemed to be empty (even when I clicked 'show hidden files' in KDE). However, there seemed to be header files in other directories under /usr/src

So, why are the files not visible/available? Am I doing something wrong here? Or are the source/image files stored somewhere else? Can I do a search for a particular file name to see if they are in another location?

Once I have found the files I will need to do 'make menuconfig' and then will need to recompile the Kernel.

For the recompilation of the Kernel, a C compiler will need to be installed and so I searched KPackage for a C Compiler but there didn't seem to be an obvious one. Can anyone point me to it?

Any tips that you can give me on these topics would be a great help.

Regards,
Alan Searle.