PDA

View Full Version : Strange kind of Crash

Bl4ckm0r3
04-15-2003, 09:56 AM
I've downloaded the latest version of the knoppix cd...everything was fine.
I tried to boot it from the cdrom and everything goes well.
I tried the hdd install but there was some problems... I tried to install it on a hd where was before mandrake 9.0; i didn't want to keep it so i deleted the partition and i began the installation. Everything seemed to go well, but when i rebooted the system lilo crashed with error 01 (L01010101...).
i tried several times the installation with different(all) file system...What can i do?I would like to use it from the hd how can I?
Please help Me Tnx Marco

eadz
04-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Hi there,
it sounds like a currupted lilo install

Here are some lilo error codes :
http://www.wlug.org.nz/LiloErrorCodes

- Check that all the partitions in /etc/lilo.conf are correct, and that everything looks right.

rerun "lilo" as root - this will reinstall lilo which if the previous install was currupted may fix it. If not double check the lilo.conf, and maybe make some changes if needed.

Bl4ckm0r3
04-15-2003, 04:01 PM
I think there's still something, i tried to reinstall it several times, but (the few times everything goes well) if i try to use chroot (after starting by cd) on the mounted hd where i've installed knoppix before, it goes.but if i try to login as a root it goes in panic telling me that it can write somewhere and that there is an error somewhere...
I tried (with a win floppy) to erase the MBR and then reinstall knoppix but it did'nt work...
I'm gonig crazy because i would like to use it because debian it's too hard for me but i know it's the best linux release!!
Please help me...

ps I'm downloading this new release...(15/4/2003) maybe the one i've downloaded before didn't work well??I hope so.

RockMumbles
04-15-2003, 06:05 PM
Have you tried to test your knoppix cd? With:

knoppix testcd

Also, Libranet is an easy to install debian based linux distro, it is woody by default, but it is fairly easy to move to testing if you wish. Also since Libranet 2.0 (download) is based on KDE 2.2 it is easy to upgrade it to kde 3.1.1 without major problems.

rock

Bl4ckm0r3
04-18-2003, 02:39 AM
Ok now everything is good!Well the problem was (i think) a problem in the lilo installation during the knx-hdinstall setup. It simply destroyed my MBR withouth writing anything on it.
So i wanted to check if there was something bout my hd, i tried to reinstall the Mandrake 9.0 and everything worked(lilo too).
So i thought...there will be something about knoppix...
I used the testcd but it was good.
The key was: install-mbr I use it on my hd and it installed it perfectly...now everything is working good; and i Did it all by myself!
Thank you the same for interesting and trying to help me!
Marco