PDA

View Full Version : Monitor only shows static after boot.

tjs774
05-18-2005, 07:54 PM
As I try to boot Knoppix from the CD, everything seems to boot normally and properly. However, when the screen says that it is "Starting X11" the screen flashes a few times. After that, the monitor turns into static or snow like bad reception on a TV. I've never seen a monitor do this before.

The OS seems to be running all right in the background because when I push "Ctrl - Alt- Delete" then enter, it shuts down the system. This leads me to believe that everything is booting properly except for the video configuration or something.

Anybody have an idea of how to fix this. Any reply would be appreicated.

Without Wax,

TJS774

fingers99
05-18-2005, 08:24 PM
You probably need to use one of the cheatcodes. See the documentation section above.

Or, tell us the monitor and the chances are that someone knows what works for it.

tjs774
05-18-2005, 08:27 PM
The Monitor is a Gateway EV700. Any idea on which cheat codes I should try first? How do I enter a cheat code? I thought I saw a post about that. Do I just hit "F2" or something at the boot screen?

Without Wax,

TJS774

fingers99
05-18-2005, 11:29 PM
The Monitor is a Gateway EV700. Any idea on which cheat codes I should try first? How do I enter a cheat code? I thought I saw a post about that. Do I just hit "F2" or something at the boot screen?

Without Wax,

TJS774

Easy way is to just put it in after you see the

boot:

prompt, so it looks like

boot: (cheatcode)

Lagniappe
05-21-2005, 08:33 PM
I had a related problem using an OLD monitor ... seems the monitor didn't have enough resolution to support Knoppix. What I was getting was about 3 Knoppix screens side by side w/ a trashed raster and it was 'colored' snow. The monitor is an old beater. So I put one of my newer monitors on, and it boots fine. I had no luck w/ the cheat codes ... but maybe if I were smarter, I would have. Despite Knoppix's goal of sensing and automatically enabling hardware, they seem to have thrown out support for ancient hardware.

IF you don't have another newer monitor, I had luck getting a fine monitor for $30 at a computer & monitor recycling center near me.

Lagniappe

gadgerama
05-21-2005, 08:35 PM
I got the same until i typed

screen=800x600

at the boot prompt. Now it's fine.