PDA

View Full Version : install probs

Si_C
05-19-2005, 06:06 AM
well i have just about got knoppix up and running
i have got it booting from the cd no problems so the next thing to do is to get it loaded onto the hdd, when i tried to do it i got a prompt saying the disk was too small, ive got an 80gig so was a little miffed. i suspect the problem is that i may have formatted it in a peculiar way (aint no other os for me! i just want linux). so my qusetion is, is there a diagnostic tool or command i can enter during the F2 F3 command prompt to tell me the information about my hdd such as if any partitions are still present and what format the drive is in eg FAT 32 NTFS. Why isnt Knoppix recognising the rest of my hdd?
am i resigned to having NTFS i was running XP before on aforementioned hd.

tdjokic
05-19-2005, 07:14 AM
How did you make yor partition for Knoppix installation? After Live Knoppix starts, click on monitor icon, type su + Enter, than cfdisk and make one big, bootable partition, minimum 3GB and one small, swap, 400MB. Write partition table to hdd, reboot and start installation - click on monitor icon, type su + Enter, than knx2hd, than Start installation.

Si_C
05-19-2005, 11:41 PM
unsure what you mean by 'monitor' icon i dont have it on my desktop when i boot up, where should it be located. btw i am attempting knoppix 3.7

tdjokic
05-20-2005, 01:34 AM
It is on the main panel.

Si_C
05-21-2005, 03:05 AM
i guess you mean the IDSN Monitor huh? Tried to open it, i get message: Konsole Session 'Shell' exited with status 1.

tdjokic
05-21-2005, 10:55 AM
No, I think about icon of display (monitor, screen, terminal, konsole)... whatever, to bring you to the command prompt. You can click on K -> System -> Konsole (Terminal program), this is same way...

fingers99
05-21-2005, 04:01 PM
No, I think about icon of display (monitor, screen, terminal, konsole)... whatever, to bring you to the command prompt. You can click on K -> System -> Konsole (Terminal program), this is same way...

Or it's about the fifth icon along, bottom left on the taskbar. (pop-up help says "Terminal Program").

Si_C
05-22-2005, 05:20 AM
ok so i opened up the konsole in blue it had the promt
knoppix@ttype[knoppix]$
i entered su + then hit enter it came up with
Unknown id: +
so i am unable to run cfdisk
if i try i get FATAL ERROR: unable to open disk drive
should i run fdisk and try again?

tdjokic
05-22-2005, 10:39 AM
i entered su + then hit enter Sorry, you understand me wrong, I put sign "+" to say to you that you must type "su" and after that press Enter. Type only command su, without any sign. Then press Enter and your promt will change - insted of knoppix@ttype[knoppix]$, with $ sign at the and, you will have something with # sign at the and. Sign # is a sign for root user.

Si_C
05-22-2005, 10:58 AM
heh heh sorry bout that im a total noob but ive got it!
now is the swap partition primary or logical?

fingers99
05-22-2005, 12:09 PM
heh heh sorry bout that im a total noob but ive got it!
now is the swap partition primary or logical?

It doesn't matter unless you have (IIRC) more than 8 primary partitions on that drive. I tend to make all my partitions primary, but then, I'll only have a max of 3 or 4 on a drive.

Si_C
05-23-2005, 02:08 AM
alrighty thanks for bearing with me, i guess the last thing i need to do is format the swap partition is that right? how do i do that?
i have installed everything mbr and all that to the 3 gig partition so what next?

tdjokic
05-23-2005, 02:52 AM
than cfdisk and make one big, bootable partition, minimum 3GB and one small, swap, 400MB. Write partition table to hdd, reboot and start installation - click on monitor icon, type su + Enter, than knx2hd, than Start installation.If you did all this steps it is strange that you need to format swap partition. This is done during instalation proces. And if you did all things well, reboot, take CD out and you will have Knoppix runing from hdd.

Si_C
05-23-2005, 03:41 AM
maybe it isnt to do with the swap partition. here is the error msg and sequence.
starting up boot sequence. debian screen comes up...
after login error comes up, verbatim...

There was an error setting up inter-processes communications for KDE. The message returned by the system was: Could not network connection list. //.DCOPserver_computername__0
please check that the "dcop server" program is running

after hitting ok second error message

Will not save configuration.
Configuration file "//.kde/share/config/kwinrc"
configuration file "//.kde/share/config/kdeglobals" not writeable please contact system admin.

then the above message comes up again a couple of time then the wizard starts up. After wizard

The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE.
No write access to $HOME directory (/).
KDE is unable to start.

do i have to do something at the boot up then during the debian prompt???

Si_C
05-24-2005, 09:46 PM
anyone got any ideas on this one? ive been without a os not for a while and am contemplating getting winblows back on yeah desperate i know.

tdjokic
05-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Hi! We have had some problems with understandig about installation, and now somebody helps us: http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/knoppix1

Look at this, it will help. Usually, I reinstall Linux if there are problems like yours. There is posibility that your CD is not OK, who knows.