PDA

View Full Version : How to copy a folder

alex610
05-19-2005, 10:57 AM
I want to copy a folder My Documents (/mnt/hda1/Documents and Settings/Alex/My Documents/) to my USB Drive (/mnt/ubb1)
but an error announced that I cound't make folder. What can I do?

Dave_Bechtel
05-19-2005, 06:51 PM
1. Be root.
2. Make sure the USB drive is mounted R/W (' mount ')

Command line:
' cd /mnt/hda1/Documents and Settings/Alex/My Documents/ '
' cp -apRv . /mnt/ubb1 '

--See ' man cp ' for what the flags mean.

I want to copy a folder My Documents (/mnt/hda1/Documents and Settings/Alex/My Documents/) to my USB Drive (/mnt/ubb1)
but an error announced that I cound't make folder. What can I do?

alex610
05-20-2005, 02:01 AM
cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/uba1/./P1010114.JPG': Read-only file system

What does it mean?

Dave_Bechtel
05-20-2005, 07:23 PM
It means that nobody can write to the filesystem.

Is it FAT32 ? Post the results of ' fdisk -l '.

Also, try:
' mount /mnt/uba1 -oremount,rw ' == Remount filesystem read/write

cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/uba1/./P1010114.JPG': Read-only file system

What does it mean?

alex610
05-21-2005, 04:43 AM
Thanks. I got it.
But What if my disk is formatted NTFS, how can I install captive-ntfs driver?

Cuddles
05-21-2005, 12:56 PM
alex610,

What if your FS is NTFS ?

OUCH!

What I would do... Copy the folder from a NTFS file system, to a FAT file system, from within Windows... THEN, go into Knoppix, and do the same commands as mentioned above, from the FAT file system folder location ( from the copy made within Windows ), to the location you wanted within Linux.

NTFS is a tricky "bugger" - its proprietary of Windows, and not much support within Windows is working "at best" winthin Linux - your best bet, this is saying without knowing how much work "newly" has been done with NTFS support in Linux, but, best bet is to use FAT for any Linux to Windows, or Windows to Linux, transfers. ( IMHO )

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles