PDA

View Full Version : Booting From Windows [NTFS] Partition

Krogen
05-20-2005, 02:05 AM
Hey everyone!

I tried out Knoppix Live CD couple days ago and got into it. Now I'm trying to go one step further. Not really installing it (at least that's what I think I'm doing) but making booting a little bit easier.

I followed this tutorial how to go by doing the [thread title!].
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition

I followed each one of the steps in the tutorial, restarted my pc, and here's what I saw:

Grub 0.95

Knoppix 3.8.1 from NTFS hda1 ISO
Memory Test
Knoppix 3.7 Kernel 2.6

There's some more stuff to the above but I think the first choice is what I want. There were couple other "Knoppix 3.7 Kernel 2.6" but when I tried selecting them it looked for the Knoppix CD. Not what I want.

So... Here's what's wrong when I select the first choice [Knoppix 3.8.1 from NTFS hda1 ISO].

Welcome to Knoppix Live Linux-on-CD [NTFS]

Scanning for USB/Firewire
(Some other crap here)

Looking for CDROM in /dev/hdh16 mount: ioct1: LOOP_SET.FD: Bad file descriptor

Mount: Could not setup loop device

Couldn't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a very limited Shell.
(Here are couple commands)

I'm pretty sure I didn't edit one of the default file settinsg (which I'm going to troubleshoot in a while) but... Anyone know what could be the problem?

If it helps, my Windows still works (Yupiee!) and I'm running the following:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ OC 2.2GHz
1GB 3200 RAM
Albatron PRO 2 754 motherboard
NVIDIA 6800
120GB Seagate HD with 8/MB cache. Single NTFS partition.

From the CD, Knoppix works like a dream. Everything works. (Except that I don't want to have the cd in the drive all the time).

One more question. If I make a logical partition for my Knoppix (not NTFS... Forgot the name), will I be able to save files onto it?

Thanks!

ruymbeke
05-20-2005, 03:45 AM
...I followed this tutorial how to go by doing the http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition ...
So... Here's what's wrong when I select the first choice [Knoppix 3.8.1 from NTFS hda1 ISO].
Looking for CDROM in /dev/hdh16 mount: ioct1: LOOP_SET.FD: Bad file descriptor
Mount: Could not setup loop device
What HD device are you booting from ? PATA, SATA, SCSI ?
Once in the grub menu, type the key "c" to enter the command line menu. The "TAB" key will give you a list of the possible commands and will also do some kind of an autocompletion as with bash. Use this command line to figure out your disk/partition topoloy using kernel (hd[tab],[tab]) and update your menu.lst file. Remember that for grub (hd0,0) translate into /dev/hda1 for linux ... According to your log messages grub finds the knoppix kernel and the initrd files but the knoppix linuxrc script (inside the inird) cannot find the knoppix iso/loopback file. You should probably edit the bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.381/*.iso portion of the kernel parameters line. Hope this help.

One more question. If I make a logical partition for my Knoppix (not NTFS... Forgot the name), will I be able to save files onto it?
Yes, it is easy(ier) to save files, persistent home directories, to anything but ntfs.
Now as far as I know, knoppix 3.8.2 should be able to use a ntfs file created under windows as a /swap and /home partitions
So bottom line, the latest knoppix release should allow you to do everything with a single ntfs partition.
Cheers, Gilles

Krogen
05-20-2005, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I have a SATA hard drive.

My menu.lst is configured as follows:

# GvR April 12th 2005
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
timeout=15
default=0

title Default Boot on HD 0
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
boot

# Knoppix Boot from a single NTFS partition hda1:
# All the files within the directory "Root_Of_NTFS" of the grubd.zip
# have to be copied into the root of the NTFS hda1 partition c:\
# but the boot.ini file (which is just here as an example,
# the line "c:\grldr="Start Grub" has been added at the end of the boot.ini)
# Copy the also the 700MB knoppix ISO file into c:\boot\knoppix.37\ directory

title Knoppix 3.8.1 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.381/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.381/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.381/minirt_ntfs.gz
boot

title Memory test
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.36/memtest

title Win311 from Dos from Floppy image 1.44Mb, just for fun...
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/memdisk
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/win311.img
boot

################################################## ####

title Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.6 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.37/linux26 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.37/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.37/minirt26_ntfs.gz
boot

title Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.4 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.37/linux24 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.37/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.37/minirt24_ntfs.gz
boot

title Knoppix 3.6 kernel 2.6 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.36/linux26 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.36/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.36/minirt26_ntfs.gz
boot

title Knoppix 3.6 kernel 2.4 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.36/linux24 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.36/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.36/minirt24_ntfs.gz
boot

Ufff... A lot.

I tried changing the *.iso to my files name but... That didn't do it. Gave me the same error. Last but not least, I copied my .iso to the /Knoppix.37/ folder. Duh. :wink:

Thanks again.