PDA

View Full Version : usbdnet kernel module

bamarob
04-15-2003, 04:15 PM
I recently purchased a Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 and would like to get it communicating with my HD-installed knoppix. In order to do this, I either need to buy a CF ethernet card for it, or, preferrably, install the usbdnet module on my knoppix PC. I tried doing it myself... downloaded the 2.4.20 kernel source, downloaded the usbdnet module patch, compiled everything according to the directions, and resulted in a kernel panic. :(

I have Win98 communicating with the Zaurus, so I don't really have an urgent need. However, the less I have to use Win98, the better off I am. If, at the next iteration of Knoppix, some kind soul could include the usbdnet module (as a loadable module), I'd be extremely appreciative. Or, if some kind soul with remastering skills wants to provide an ISO of Version 3.2-2003-04-15 with the usbdnet modules included, that'd be even cooler.

Thanks,

BamaRob

bamarob
05-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Does anyone else have this need, or am I on my own?

garyng
05-08-2003, 05:48 AM
you didn't give detail of what caused the kernel panic so not much others can offer to help. A HD installed KNOPPIX is just a plain linux(debian based) and recompiling a new kernel should be relatively safe so long you know how to install it including lilo/grub etc.

I have already tried a number of different kernel build myself(one is to fix a USB device issue) and didn't encounter any problem and I am not even using a HD installed version which makes it more tricky.

The only impression I got from KNOPPIX as a developing environment is that it is not suitable as it use a lot of cutting edge stuffs including libc6 and gcc which results in something not very compatible with debian woody(this may not be your cause of panic). I ended up have a seperate chrooted woody environment for building applications which is pretty stable so far.

bamarob
05-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the reply, garyng.

I've recompiled kernels before without problems. I have not successfully recompiled a kernel under Knoppix (though I've only tried once). I was attempting to take the lazy way out in hoping that someone else may have had the same need (usbdnet) and already had a kernel with the modules included. When I get some time, I may give it another go.

I'm awefully tempted to purchase a wireless network CF card for my Zaurus. I don't currently have a wireless network set up at home, but have been considering it for some time. If I can get wireless networking functional between my desktop Knoppix box and my Zaurus, I wouldn't need usbdnet.

Thanks again for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone had even read my request.

BR

roli
06-25-2003, 08:21 AM
Hi,

if you have the kernel source patched with the usbdnet patch , it's quite easy.
If you don't, just do:

1) Patch the linux kernel
The patch has been tested against kernel 2.4.17 and up.
I've received patches for some specific kernel version shipped with common distributions, see in the download area listed below if there is one for yours !
Download the patch corresponding to your kernel version from here

Assuming your Linux sources are in /usr/src/linux do the following :
cp usbdnet-2.4.x.patch.gz /usr/src
cd /usr/src
zcat usbdnet-2.4.x.patch.gz | patch -p0

Now reconfigure the kernel to support :
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
in "Code maturity level options", select "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers"
in "USB support", section "USB Network adaptors", select (as a module) "USBD Network (Encapsulated) Host-to-Host Link (EXPERIMENTAL)"
Then enter 04dd in USBD Network idVendor and 8004 in USBD Network idProduct

This comes from http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ethernet-over-usb-howto.html

Now do

cd /usr/src/linux
make clean dep modules
cp drivers/usb/usbdnet.o /lib/modules/2.4.x/kernel/drivers/usb/
depmod -a

It's enough to copy the module, it don't have to be istalled.
Add the following lines to /etc/network/interfaces

iface usb0 inet static
address 192.168.129.XYZ # XYZ = IP-Adress of your usb network interface
pointopoint 192.168.129.201
netmask 255.255.255.255

The next step is to conncet the Zaurus, have a look at /var/log/messages.

insmod usbdnet
ifup usb0
Insmod will show an error message, ignore it.

That's all, i did so yesterday and everything worked fine

Roland

bamarob
06-25-2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks roli.

So, if I understand correctly, you didn't replace the kernel at all. You just compiled the usbdnet module against your existing kernel and copied it to the appropriate place.

I'll give that a try when I get a few minutes.

Thanks,

BR

roli
06-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Hi BR,

that's what i want to discribe, just compile the modules, not the Kernel that's enought.

Good Luck

Roli