PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.8 doesn't support dial-up Modems anymore!?

Lagniappe
05-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Knoppix 3.8 doesn't support my USR 56k Internal PCI Fax/Modem model 5610b ... this is a Linux compatible (NOT a WinModem) that previous Knoppix versions DID support (and by that I mean, previous versions of Knoppix were capable of logging onto my server with this same modem).

Apparently Knoppix no longer supports dial-up modems? When I try to install it on all the desktop software (i.e. KPPP), it's not an option in the types of modems -- seems all the WiFi and infrared and PCMCIA modems are supported ... but no option to select a dial-up.

How can I retrieve the modem driver(s) from a previous version of Knoppix and install it into this version (i.e. in expert mode if I have the driver on FDD). I don't know the name of the modem driver or where I might find it.

OR I have found the modem driver on the USR website but it is for the RedHat distribution ... how & where do I install that if it will even work?

OR am I doing something wrong?

While I admit to being a Linux dummie, I have CP/M, years of DRDOS, MSDos 2.0 to 3.11 & Win95 to W2K experience (I'm even one of those who used to prefer WordStar -- I could get it to do about anything except make the coffee) -- so I am trainable :) But I'm weak on working and maneuvering at the boot prompt in Linux/Knoppix and I don't know diddly about integrating RPM files into a Linux distribution.

Eventually, I want to install Knoppix to my HDD and boot from the HDD as my main OS ... maybe on a dual boot system -- or networking it to a Winblows computer.

lspci -v output yields:
0000:01:0a.0 Serial Controller: 5610 56k FaxModem 56K FaxModem
Model 5610(rev01) (prog-if 00[VGA])
Flags: Medium devsel, IRQ11
I/O Ports @ 9400 [size=8]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

lspci -b output yields:
0000:01:0a.0 Serial Controller:
5610 56k FaxModem 56K
FaxModem Model 5610(rev01)

Thanks for your patience and any advice you can offer,
Lagniappe

rrdres
05-22-2005, 09:41 AM
I am having the same problem with Knoppix 3.8, using Kpp cannot select the serial modem for query, tried different modems same problem.
Both modems work with Mepis Kpp. I hope the support is still there and its a bug, or some procedure problem.

thanks

tdjokic
05-22-2005, 10:27 AM
"have been using a USR 56K Performance Pro V.92, Model 5610B with both Mepis 2004.06 and SM3.3 with no problems at all. Don't even need drivers." This is from Mepis forum - http://www.mepislovers.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5276&forum=14&post_id=42852#forumpost42852

You need to do simple setup, like here http://www.mepislovers.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5354&forum=14&post_id=39090#forumpost39090