PDA

View Full Version : BIOS problem

twiistedkaos
05-22-2005, 04:33 AM
Ok, I'm running a DELL Dimention 8300, and i can't seem to get Knoppix to boot from a cd. I pressed F2 at startup and change the Boot sequence to IDE CD Drive to be first to boot. I put the CD in, restart and it doesnt boot knoppix, what am I doing wrong?

Harry Kuhman
05-22-2005, 04:51 AM
Ok, I'm running a DELL Dimention 8300, and i can't seem to get Knoppix to boot from a cd. I pressed F2 at startup and change the Boot sequence to IDE CD Drive to be first to boot. I put the CD in, restart and it doesnt boot knoppix, what am I doing wrong?
How did you burn the iso file (are you sure you burnt it properly as an image)? Did you burn it at a slow speed (like 4x)? If you downloaded the ISO from a mirror rather than from Bittorrent, did you check the md5 sum of the downloaded file befor burning?

twiistedkaos
05-22-2005, 07:04 AM
I seemed to have burned the .iso wrongly. I got it to work now, thanks anyways. Can you help me with somethign else? I don't want Knoppix to be livecd, I want to put it on my harddrive, how would I go about doing so? And If i do, Will I be pompted at startup if I want to choose between Knoppix or Windows XP? Because that's how I'd like it, so I cna still get on Windows XP.

Harry Kuhman
05-22-2005, 07:27 AM
I seemed to have burned the .iso wrongly. I got it to work now, thanks anyways. Can you help me with somethign else? I don't want Knoppix to be livecd, I want to put it on my harddrive, how would I go about doing so? And If i do, Will I be pompted at startup if I want to choose between Knoppix or Windows XP? Because that's how I'd like it, so I cna still get on Windows XP.
There's a whole forum for that (and a FAQ in the documentation section). Read the forum and faq. Personally, I don't believe in it, too many people have too many problems after an install. Installing Debian takes a little more work, but you learn in the process, get exactly what you want, and have a much more stable system. Oh, also in your reading pay attention to the problems that seem to have crept into the 3.8.x install procedures. Good luck.