PDA

View Full Version : faster than winxp??

05-22-2005, 03:15 PM
hi all!

i am super-new to knoppix - no linux experience at all. the reason i am here is because i depserately try to speed up my 2d renderings (called: APOPHYSIS ->win32 software). so i heard that i should give knoppix a try.
here i am. i already have the bootable knoppix -> boot works - BUT, from here i can't get any further. is someone willing to help me implement the program so it works under knoppix???

above all, is there a chance that rendering might run faster under knoppix than under winxp????

i would be happy if someone could guide me ....

thx for baring with a newcomer :)

thx marcus :D

Cuddles
05-27-2005, 02:57 PM

Not really sure bout the program you speak of, never worked on "creating" 3D, just playing the games, and having the speed...

But, if you have a good, even nice, video card, average processor with the speed, a average amount of memory ( both on the motherboard, and on a video card ), I would say... Knoppix, Kanotix, and "Linux" as a whole, can burn the living heck out of any Windows OS.

I have an AMD64 w/ 1 GB of memory, a NVidia GeForce w/ 128 MB of memory, and have the 3D acceleration enabled within the kernel, and I get around 1000 plus FPS. On my other system, a AMD ( not 64 bit ) 1.7 GHz, with a NVidia GeForce, main memory is only 512 MB, video has the same 128 MB, and I get around 500 plus FPS. I dont think I ever got that good with any Windows OS.

As for running any "Windows" program within Linux, it can be done, and from the stories I have heard, many "Windows" programs run faster in Linux than they do in Windows. If the program doesnt require DirectX you can use Wine ( Windows Is Not Emulated ), usually comes standard in Knoppix. If the program DOES require DirectX support, then try a program called calega - its produced by a company and web site called "Trans-Gaming" - they provide a version of "Wine" that includes the "DirectX" drivers. ( Calega does cost something though, even if its pennies on the dollar, whereas, Wine is totally free )

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

Harry Kuhman
05-27-2005, 03:20 PM
the reason i am here is because i depserately try to speed up my 2d renderings (called: APOPHYSIS ->win32 software). so i heard that i should give knoppix a try.....
I haven't used the software so I can't comment on how fast or slow it is. But 2d rendering really shouldn't be impacted much by any OS if it's written properly. A quick Google search turned up that the sources are available, but that version 2 of the code is based on Delphi. To my knowledge there is no free Delphi or Delphi-like code for Linux (I believe there is a commercial program), so getting it working under Linux would likely involve an extensive rewrite. Perhaps the program would benefit from a rewrite anyway, Delphi is far from the language of choice for rendering applications, but it's not going to be a simple case of just running the existing code under Linux and seeing a big speed improvement.

What is it that you are rendering that you feel the need is worth the effort for speeding up these 2D renderings? And how long does a typical Apophysis rendering take?