PDA

View Full Version : [usb cdrom] knoppix 3.8.2 cant find the knoppix filesystem

kpoman
05-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi,
by trying to run knoppix from an usb cdrom drive i get a message telling me knoppix filesystem was not found, and a simple prompt with only basic module tools; i tried on different computers and the message is always the same and comes after firewire/usb detection
i also tried failsafe or expert but no way to make it work !
hope there is a workaround or something !
help much appreciated :)

kpoman
05-27-2005, 04:07 AM
can someone corroborate or test like me with an usb cdrom drive ?

kpoman
05-28-2005, 08:29 PM
I would really like to know if there are some commands i could type to bypass the bug ?
help would be appreciated :)

strtt
06-09-2005, 02:53 PM
The only way i know is to boot from expert mode, when it ask insert a floppy with all usb modules (usbcore.o, usb-ohci, usb-storage.o, etc....) and it should work, at least it did for my Iomega drive :)

kpoman
08-29-2005, 06:06 AM
ok I could manage to correct the bug.
it is a minirt.gz bug, so you have to mount as cloop your cdrom, then go to /boot/ and get minirt.gz, copy it somewhere and gunzip it. then, in the line that adds startable devices, the line containing

/dev/ub?[0-9]

is not good anymore, because on new kernels (dont know which version, maybe somewhere on >= 2.6.11 ) usb devices are named now /dev/ubx

the problem with that line you see above, is it implies that ubx device has partitions ! BUT ! and usb stick doesnt have (maybe it does), but certainly not cdrom usb devices ! so you MUST add

/dev/ub?

before the /dev/ub?[0-9] in order to take into account that if you boot with a usb cdrom drive, it will get a name like /dev/uba and not /dev/uba1 !

That's why Knoppix was bugging !

so, next steps from where we were are: mount minirt (uncompressed miniroot) somewhere, go there and find the linuxrc startup script, then add what i previously said, then unmount, gzip, then rebuild the iso image and you are ready to go !

have nice day ;)

mclae
09-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Two things seem to help:
1. turn everything off and unplug the USB drive. By OFF, I mean unplug from wall (or turn off power strip).
Wait 20-30 seconds, power oon, wait 10-15 seconds, plug USB drive in, power up. Most times this works.

2. if #1 did not work, reboot. Wait until BIOS is mostly finished and hit the reset button. let the next reboot complete.

Keep repeating. Eventually KNOPPIX will boot.