PDA

View Full Version : Installing Knoppix 3.8 to Your Hard Drive (Flash)

Irongeek
05-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Well, I normally do security videos, and this is not exactly a security video, but it still may be useful to some. I created a Flash Animation of how to install Knoppix 3.8 to your hard drive. It’s 3.75MB in size. You can find it at:

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/knoppix1

Hope it’s of use to some of you. It’s a great way to get a Linux box up and running fast. I illustrate how to add extra tools after the install by setting up Dsniff on the box. Enjoy. It may still have some bugs, email me if you find any major ones.

harryhood
05-26-2005, 12:55 AM
That was great! How about showing a dual-boot install with a existing NTFS partition?

Irongeek
05-26-2005, 01:01 AM
At some point maybe. Does Knoppix come with a tool for resizing an active partition?

mikekgr
05-26-2005, 06:44 AM
Dear Irongeek,
you did a very very nice work. I am wondering, what program do you use in order to produce this fine and informative videos? (I asking you because I am teacher and I need methodes like this but I have not found the proper tools-programs. Please be a little be specific because I am newbie at this field...)

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

tdjokic
05-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Nice work Irongeek! Can anybody put this in "Sticky" please?

Irongeek
05-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Dear Irongeek,
you did a very very nice work. I am wondering, what program do you use in order to produce this fine and informative videos? (I asking you because I am teacher and I need methodes like this but I have not found the proper tools-programs. Please be a little be specific because I am newbie at this field...)

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

I used VNC to get the display to a windows box, then I used CamStudio 2 (the Open Source version thats hard to find now) to capture the video. I then use VirtualDub and Flash MX to put it all together. I grab the audio with Audacity. You can find a link to CamStudio in the credits section of the Knoppix tutorial.

harryhood
05-26-2005, 04:46 PM
At some point maybe. Does Knoppix come with a tool for resizing an active partition?

Qparted?

UnderScore
05-26-2005, 05:52 PM

Qparted? yeah qtparted: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16113

Irongeek
05-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Cool, I did not know that QTParted supported that.

maxIT
05-27-2005, 12:29 PM
woww, great!!!!
It's since 3.4 I try install without success and now I've understand the qtparted step where I usually stopped me!
many thanks!!

Ted -Phoenix
05-30-2005, 07:56 AM
Thank you...

I wanted to put Knoppix to a hard drive install a while back and never really had much success with it.

This was VERY informative! It was exactly the info i was looking for. thank you thank you!

Just for the record; i had WinXP on one partition of the hard drive. (unallocated space on the rest) I just left the Win partition alone in Qparted and made my swap and ext3 no problem from what was left... the rest of the install as described in the tutorial... The boot loader was set and configured automatically, I now have a perfectly functional dual boot system!

Its Working Great!

Again, Great Job Irongeek!

Ted