PDA

View Full Version : Switching Windows Manager (back to KDE)

TMan63
05-26-2005, 02:09 AM
Hello,

I'm new to Linux (taking a class presently on it), and to Knoppix. Have Knoppix on cd, persistant directory on fat32 partition. Most things are going 'fine'. Even config'd my 'windows' HP820Cse to print...

Here is my situation:

I changed the gui from KDE to (xterm?) (I was hoping to find 'enlightenment') - it displays the same 'wallpaper'.. but all I can do is right click and a terminal window displays... just a bar at the bottom - with letters (desktops?) and numbers on the bottom right (like windows sys tray area)

Without overwriting my image file completely, how can I return to KDE? (I know if I DO NOT use the image file - I go to KDE, but all my configs are not loaded).

Do I need somehow to stop the window manager I don't want, and restart kde?... I've tried crtl alt and backspace, but the gui just reloads....

Simply put - I want to exit (xterm?) and return to KDE

Thanks,
TM

atrick-pay
05-26-2005, 03:53 AM
I'm pretty new at this but I bet you are using LarsWM.
Open a term and LARSWM_EXIT
then KDM?

TMan63
05-26-2005, 04:46 AM
That was close... but not quite it. LARSWM_EXIT didn't really have any effect.... but

if I type shutdown now ( @ tty1)

KDM

I get a log on screen for KDM... but don't know the password/log on name.... (also choices for ?ICE, and other window managers...)

the normal 'desktop' has a grayish bar at the bottom with Syslogs [0---] [TCRSB-] on the far right corner...

The knoppix image file is viewable in textpad under windows...

TM...

eco2geek
05-26-2005, 07:52 AM
In the terminal window (the one you bring up by right-clicking), type

sudo /usr/sbin/restartx

then choose KDE and click OK, then Yes.

TMan63
05-26-2005, 09:26 PM
eco2geek - you get the prize - thanks :)
<and your 'avitar' is great!>

and - it was LARS I was seeing.

BTW - running Knoppix now - win wouldn't start 3x AGAIN....

Last note - this thread was moved from 'general' - ok... but - I do not have Knoppix installed on my hd - just the img file...

Thanks again!

TM