PDA

View Full Version : I CAN'T INSTALL KNOPPIX ON MY HD....

Xenayoo
05-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Knoppix 2.8.1: Can't install Knoppix on my Hd. System PII-400, 192MB, 10GB-HD. I have deleted the NTFS-WinXP-Partition with cfdisk and create a new on with 9500mb. The unused 750mb should used for swap-Partition. As shown here in this forum, i tried a "trick":
1. Type "su", Enter - but nothing happens
2. formate the partition with a special command (I don't know now)
3. start Knoppix-installer

The dialog begins. Then the partition-dialog appears. Ok, let's make a partition. A message appears in Shell window. Something with hd is read only blablabla.... And then Cd-Rom and HD-Led is blinking for a minute and that was it. System hangs! there is nothing i can do - just switch off. Is that the solid linux?????

And now HELP ME...... PLEASE... :cry:

tdjokic
05-28-2005, 09:46 PM
Start with this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19155 .

"Knoppix 2.8.1" - no, it is 3.8.1
"with cfdisk and create a new on with 9500mb" - how did you do this - you can not start cfdisk if you are not root. You must go to shell, you must type su, Enter and get prompt with # at its end - now you are root.

Now type cfdisk, make one big partition, minimum 3GB, marked with /, make it boot (press spase bar on keyboard), than make one small partition, about 300MB, change its type with Type command to swap (82 or 83 in big table), than choose command Write, type yes, wait until it finish, reboot.

Go again in shell, type su, Enter to get again sign #. Now type knx2hd, or knoppix-installer, Enter. You will get menu and go on.

Installation proces will do needed format and everything. Install bootloader in MBR.

Usually it works. No blabla, no tricks :-) :-)

Xenayoo
05-29-2005, 02:24 PM
There is something you should know: I am new by using Linux. So i haven't any knowlege or experiance of how to work with Unix. Although i am a MAC-User for two Years - this is a very great System - and Mac OS-X is very familiar with Linux, in Mac-Os everything works with mouseklick.

Anyway, i have install knoppix on my hd. I used the direct Terminal in the Taskbar and not the one in the LinuxMenue. And I use the ignore-Option. . :P :P :P