PDA

View Full Version : How Debian is Knoppix?

jimbo-62
05-29-2005, 01:11 AM
I know Knoppix is based on Debian and when Knoppix is installed to the hard drive it is "basically" Debian. Another Live CD which is based on Debian, Mepis, has weasel words about Mepis not being exactly Debian and warnings about Mepis divergence from Debian. So, my questions:

Just how does Knoppix differ from a Debian installation?

Is Knoppix "diverging" from Debian?

Are there plans to develop a Knoppix repository or will Knoppix continue to use Debian applications and be compatible with the Debian repository? In other words, will Knoppix continue to be "Debian Lite" or will Knoppix decide to become the next "latest and greatest" distro?

I am very concerned about the proliferation of distros, all trying to be the next "latest and greatest distro", diverging from the base and becoming more and more isolated. If Linux has one major problem, it is the 300+ distros, all competing for resources. Think of the potential if all the energy and resources that are being expended on 300+ distros were concentrated on just 10 distros.

Anyway, just the ramblings of a newbie, jimbo

Cuddles
05-29-2005, 01:29 PM
Just how does Knoppix differ from a Debian installation?
Not quite sure, exactly, my guess is, that Debian doesnt do very much "automatically configured" stuff, like auto-detection of devices. As for how "closely" is Knoppix to Debian? If you want to compile your own "Knoppix" kernel, you get the source from Linux, and get the "patches" from Knoppix ( these patches are what make "Knoppix" different from the "vanilla" kernel. ) So, if you want to see what is "different" then look at the source for Knoppix that gets "patched" in. My guess.

Is Knoppix "diverging" from Debian?
Not sure, I cant answer this, I dont "develop" for Knoppix, and dont work with the source of it. Only the "creators" can say... BUT, to "diverge" from Debian would probably mean, throwing away the "package management system" ( apt ), and the miriad of Debian Repositories out in the world. What, go to RPM ? ( yuck! )

Are there plans to develop a Knoppix repository or will Knoppix continue to use Debian applications and be compatible with the Debian repository? In other words, will Knoppix continue to be "Debian Lite" or will Knoppix decide to become the next "latest and greatest" distro?
( See above answer ) - I cant speak for these people, but my guess is, Knoppix is the greatest Live CD Distro - that "niche" is its greatest feature. I dont think thats going away any time soon.

I am very concerned about the proliferation of distros, all trying to be the next "latest and greatest distro", diverging from the base and becoming more and more isolated. If Linux has one major problem, it is the 300+ distros, all competing for resources. Think of the potential if all the energy and resources that are being expended on 300+ distros were concentrated on just 10 distros.
Open Source has given this "proliferation", it allows anyone the chance to take "Linux", make changes they want, and start a Distro. What some people want, is not always what someone else wants - freedom of choice. Linux is around, because, "main stream" Operating Systems arent providing this, or probably "want" to provide this. The "other" OS out in the world, thinks that "everyone" wants what "they" think you want, and, so, Linux has this "special" niche.

True, if all the talent went into even just ONE Linux OS, it would be just like Microsoft's current offering of OS, just what "someone else" thinks "you" want. The proliferation of Linux has been based on, this same thing, but, you have choices, and even the choice to develop your own.

Anyway, just the ramblings of a newbie, jimbo
Same here, :D
Ms. Cuddles