PDA

View Full Version : Busy device

lgarcia3
05-29-2005, 05:29 AM
I have been trying to resize a HD where I have my linux installation. When I use QTParted I see the status of my device is BUSY, so of course if I try to resize the partition while it is busy the operation fails. Well it just happen that Knoppix is using the swap memory in that device and that is why is busy. So, how do I solve that? I have not been able to umount it does not matter how many times I try.
Thanks

Harry Kuhman
05-29-2005, 06:02 AM
... using the swap memory in that device and that is why is busy. So, how do I solve that? ....
Why not just run Knoppix off of the CD (like God intended) for this purpose rather than running the instance that you installed to the hard disk? If you do that and if you have no swap file the drive should be idle. Delete any swap file or swap partition if required and leave space to recreate it later, if needed.

Cuddles
05-29-2005, 01:39 PM
lgarcia3,

I agree with Harry Kuhman, the reason the device is busy, is because you are using it - remove that usage, and the device will be available...

As a side note:
To remove the "swap" partition from the boot, off the Live CD, try a very useful cheatcode in your "boot:" prompt noswap

Adding the "noswap" during the Live CD boot, will effectively remove the swap partition, even if Knoppix, during booting, sees it. If Knoppix, during booting, detects a swap partition, it will, attempt to use that swap, by using the above cheatcode, will force Knoppix to NOT use it, even if it happens to detect that one could be used.

Not much more I can contribute, Harry Kuhman did a good job already :)
Ms. Cuddles

Harry Kuhman
05-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Good point Cuddles, thanks. I forgot aboiut using the noswap cheat, but that does make it ever easier.

Cuddles
05-29-2005, 05:26 PM
I try :D

Besides, why blow away the swap, if you can "by-pass" it, especially if you are going to cfdisk the partitions.

I like to keep the swap at the "tail" of the drive, and if you blow it away, you will have to do all the re-calculating agin to ensure it hits the right amount of MB at the end. Leave it, but, by-pass it, then go after the partitions, with the swap intact. I've done this a few times ( sheesh, memories of new hard drive installs, and the fun of "how much do I need to have 500MB left?" ouch! )

Ms. Cuddles
I do what I can, which, sometimes aint much, but, I try.