PDA

View Full Version : New to Linux

Stephenkent101
04-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Knoppix 3.2 has now KDE 3.1 and "persistant home" - a way to save
the configuration also on hd and USB-Memory-Sticks. :lol:

hello,
linux newbie here.. I have tried the installation onto HD as below.
short story about first tryout of Linux and installation

My first download of Linux .. Knoppix 3.2 Random choice from many
...lucky choice it seems.
3days later...(slow cable speed)
burned iso to disc using Nero
booted up.. all sound, video, disks, usb, cable modem etc. recognised 1st time.. so far so good. impressed!
used the many programs included ...nice and stable very professional
very impressed....wow useful stuff here. Im convinced
must load onto hard disc.. looked around forums... found method
then I used command line input as suggested to load onto hard disc.
sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall
loaded on to my new 40GB disc 1st time..no problems
set up something called LILO to choose between Linux and Windows
everthing works ok.
The only real trouble was choosing the partitioning stuff. It was a bit confusing but I must have been lucky. The printer setup was very easy too.
Well done to all involved in this project from one with no Unix knowledge.
The only problem I am having now is that I am a bit confused about mounting and unmounting the drives under KDE.
many thanks again.
Stephen

Stephen
04-16-2003, 04:15 AM
The only problem I am having now is that I am a bit confused about mounting and unmounting the drives under KDE.
many thanks again.
Stephen

How are you trying to mount them from the desktop or the console and which drive(s)?

Stephenkent101
04-17-2003, 12:44 AM
many thanks again.
Stephen

How are you trying to mount them from the desktop or the console and which drive(s)?

Dear Stephen,
Mnay thanks for offer, I have found out how to do this now as have invested 15 quid in a linux book!
Seems everything in Unix is a directory ( you probably knew that already). ie even Cdroms and Hard drives. All I had to do was click on a free space on the desktop and choose new Hard drive name from the list offered. Very easy when you know how.
Im really getting used to the KDE interface now and have loaded up Limeware for some file sharing. Bit of a bother learning how to load binaries SH...did the trick
As I use the computer for Education work (Teacher of Technology) I have almost all the software I will need onboard. Only problem is I use Autocad so will have to keep windows for a short while yet. Amazing software included and Ive already convinced a couple of colleauges about its stability and usefulnes.
Thanks for you help.
Im reading up on the command line stuff now.
Im joining the groups to see if I can offer any tips for absolute beginners like myself.
StephenK.

fingers99
04-17-2003, 02:16 AM
Hi Spephen

there is CAD software for Linux too. Can't comment on compatability or performance with regard to autocad, but doing a Google for

CAD linux

should turn something up. You could then try

apt-get install "name of package"

and with any luck there will be a deb version!

Stephen
04-17-2003, 02:25 AM
Good to see your getting the hang of it. A good place for info is the The Linux Documentation Project (http://www.tldp.org/) also you may want to join some of the Debian Mailing List (http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/). I'd recommend at least the security lists to get security notices and maybe the Debian User list although that's high volume (usually 250-400 posts a day).

Good luck and if you have any problems post back here.