PDA

View Full Version : How to create a SwapPartition manual - For NEWBIES...

Xenayoo
05-29-2005, 03:28 PM
I am a Linux/Knoppix 3.8.1 Newbie. After several Problems i have install Knoppix on my hd - AND in difference to the most Users, i killed my fuckin Windows installation. Great to that point. Now to the Problem: How can i create a seperate SwapPartition??? There are some things i have tried:
1. i create a Partition with cfdisk, size 750 MB, filesystem 82-Linux Swapfile.... But the Swapinstaller in the Knoppix-menu said, that tehre is no suitable partition.... :evil:
2. i start gtpart - but tht program wont work at all! :evil:
3. i tried to format the swappartition with mkfs /dev/hda5. But the Swapinstaller in the Knoppix-menu said, that tehre is no suitable partition.... :evil:

So, did anyone have a simple stsp-bby-step how to do this?

Krogen
05-29-2005, 03:39 PM
The easiest way is to create a partition with 3rd party software. It takes only a while to do it and I never screwed anything up that way. I use Partition Magic.

Got it for about $50 online. Did it pay for itself? Yes.

Just a tip: always make sure that you have a working backup of your whole hard drive. If something goes wrong, you can always revert to an earlier state. I use one of my network PCs to store backups on. You could also buy another hard drive and setup a raid mirror config.

tdjokic
05-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Sorry Krogen, I think easiest way is to create a partition with cfdisk during Knoppix installation process. Why 3rd party software? Why Windows oriented softver? Can I use PM without MS Windows? I don't have MS Windows anymore. Than - why Knoppix at all? Many people complaind about PM any way.

Krogen
05-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Sorry Krogen, I think easiest way is to create a partition with cfdisk during Knoppix installation process. Why 3rd party software? Why Windows oriented softver? Can I use PM without MS Windows? I don't have MS Windows anymore. Than - why Knoppix at all? Many people complaind about PM any way.

Well, if you are a Windows user and trying to switch to Linux, the easiest way for a newbie would be to work IN WINDOWS (not in Linux that you have no idea about!) and make all the partitioning there... A lot safer then jumping into Linux and making partitions there. What if your Windows fails (like Xenayoo said) because he was trying to make a partition with cfdisk?

I'm not a PC geek and I have never messed anything up when using Partition Magic.

maxIT
05-29-2005, 04:49 PM
I am a Linux/Knoppix 3.8.1 Newbie. After several Problems i have install Knoppix on my hd...

How can have you done an installation without a swp.part!? It seems to me that is mandatory to create one, in this case (that's mine) the swp.part would be inherited to installation.
Hovewer I think the best way is to use cfdisk to make partitions, and qtparted to format a swap one. Don't pay nothing to nobody.
>PS. I won't be very interested in $$$-programs, but if there isn't
>anything free, I'll look at other options too. Linus Torvalds usenet first post:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware/browse_thread/thread/c7146897ccbdda2e/301fa90b29b3f287?q=&rnum=621#301fa90b29b3f287

tdjokic
05-29-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm not a PC geek and I have never messed anything up when using Partition Magic.I am not either, but my friend is (www.overburn.tk) and he messed his hdd with PM. I don't say PM will mess everything and all, but it happens. The best aproach is to prepare Windows with Windows programs, after that to go to Linux program and prepare Linux partition without touching Windows partition. In no way is the PC with very important data the playgorund for learning Linux, no sir! And I am sure Windows didn't fail because of cfdisk.

Did you see this flash http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19155?

Xenayoo
05-29-2005, 06:19 PM
I am a Linux/Knoppix 3.8.1 Newbie. After several Problems i have install Knoppix on my hd...

How can have you done an installation without a swp.part!? It seems to me that is mandatory to create one, in this case (that's mine) the swp.part would be inherited to installation.
Hovewer I think the best way is to use cfdisk to make partitions, and qtparted to format a swap one. Don't pay nothing to nobody.
>PS. I won't be very interested in $$$-programs, but if there isn't
>anything free, I'll look at other options too. Linus Torvalds usenet first post:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware/browse_thread/thread/c7146897ccbdda2e/301fa90b29b3f287?q=&rnum=621#301fa90b29b3f287

Sorry, but that's it: I don't know, what linux ist doing. I think, that Linux use a swapfile on the one and only main partition. But i read somewhere, that it is a better solution to create a special partition for swapfile. So i try to create this manualy.

My problem is not, how to create a partition. The real problem is: What should i do then? Should i format the partition? Is the Knoppix-Swap-Manager the right programm..... and so on...

maxIT
05-29-2005, 06:58 PM
This link had helped me:
http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/knoppix1

It show you (with flash) how to format a swap partition with qtparted :wink: