PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if Knoppix Related. Can't access a SD Card

MannyLNJ
05-30-2005, 01:11 AM
I have a Secure Digital card that was corruped in my camera so it can not be read. I found some linix based applications that may be able to recover some pictures but first I have to use DD to copy the data to a file. I know I can't write to the local hard drive so I'm writing to a network share.

The problem is when I put in this SD card the system doesn't reconize it. If I power down the system and install a different card it mounts it fine. I'm assuming the damaged card can't mount because it no longer has a FAT format.

Any help would be appreciated. The card in question is 1 GB

Harry Kuhman
05-30-2005, 06:41 AM
... I know I can't write to the local hard drive so I'm writing to a network share. ...
It's not clear why you know this. Knoppix can write to a local partition just fine, as long as it's not an NTFS partition and you change it from the default read-only mount to read/write (with the mount command or by right clicking on the partition icon and using the actions sub-menu.)

... a different card it mounts it fine. I'm assuming the damaged card can't mount because it no longer has a FAT format.
Sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. You might see if gpart can help, but I don't know if gpart works with flash media or not (I would sugest some web searches before trial by fire). Could well be that any old pictures are lost.

MannyLNJ
05-30-2005, 03:53 PM
[quote=MannyLNJ]... I know I can't write to the local hard drive so I'm writing to a network share. ...
It's not clear why you know this. Knoppix can write to a local partition just fine, as long as it's not an NTFS partition and you change it from the default read-only mount to read/write (with the mount command or by right clicking on the partition icon and using the actions sub-menu.)

I know it because the hard drive on the system that has the card readers is formatted as NTFS. And I know there is still no 100% safe way to write to a NFTS partition under Linux.

I'll look into Gpart., but does this sound reasonable

Step 1-On another computer on the network make a shared folder
Step 2-While running Knoppix connect to the shared folder
Step 3-Use DD to copy the data from /dev/whatever_the_card_shows_as to /share/folder
Step 4-Use Gpart to try to recover data?

If so what would the command I need to use in Step 3 be?