PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Linux -- A Tiny KNOPPIX?

jTan
05-30-2005, 02:15 PM
I found a terrific new Puppy Linux with an ISO of about 60 MB which reminds me of KNOPPIX, except that it is tiny, but functional like KNOPPIX, yet immensely user friendly. Puppy can be found at

http://distrowatch.com/

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/puppylinux/

Puppy runs as a live CD, but also runs on flash, on a zip disk, on DOS / MS Windows, on various network emulators, and on the several Linux filesystems available on hard disk. Everything runs in memory, so Puppy is blazingly fast.

A. Jorge Garcia
06-08-2005, 01:55 AM
Wow, puppyLinux is cool! Ir is only about 60MB as a compressed ISO and runs in RAM. Also, if you can burn it as a multisession liveCD, all the rest of the space can be used to save your home files on the fly. You don't need an hdd or fdd, just the CD you boot with. puppyLInux even has a create your own version that makes remastering or customizing the CD very simple!

Regards,
AJG

Capt. Cautious
08-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Good Day,
I do not know if it is still around but there was a 50MB distro called LBT ( Linux Basic Toolkit) some time last year that fit on a business card cd or the small round cds and had an unbelievable amount of very useful tools not to memntion a game or two. If it is still around it would make a good companion to Puppy.
By My Hand ~ I remain
Captain Cautious

Flash00
10-29-2005, 04:57 AM
I've tried both Knoppix and Puppy Linux - running from live CD only, not installed to the hd. For my money Puppy is best, primarily because it is designed for a single user who runs as root. There is none of the password agony that Knoppix forces on you for no good reason. Puppy just seems to work, with a minimum of hassle. Of all the distros I've seen it's the only one I'd recommend to someone who didn't know anything about computers. I think that because of its simplified configuration it would stand the best chance of working, and when it doesn't work it would be the easiest to troubleshoot. It is ideal for learning Linux and for experts too.

The latest news on multisession Puppy is multisession DVD. Its optimum configuration is still to be determined but the basic idea of saving sessions to the DVD or CD is working very well indeed. I use a DVD+RW.

tdjokic
10-29-2005, 08:25 AM
"Puppy Linux -- A Tiny KNOPPIX?" No, it i s not. Unlike Damn Small Linux, which was originally derived from KNOPPIX, Puppy was built from scratch. Try both! I couldn't conect to Internet with Puppy over ADSL, but DSL worked fine.

satimis
11-03-2005, 03:37 AM
Hi all,

Did any folk try;

LNX-BBC project
http://lnx-bbc.org/

Is it small?
Dos ADSL work on it?

TIA

B.R.
satimis

tdjokic
11-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Did any folk try;

LNX-BBC project
http://lnx-bbc.org/

Is it small?
Dos ADSL work on it?
It is small, but it is old too: last release was released 1 May 2003. On www.distrowatch.com you can find many small and new distribution. DSL is one of the best for me.

sprizz
11-28-2005, 10:23 PM
puppy is great, I use it a lot, but there are a lot of things I don't like about it........
it has to put a file on a partition labeled "pup001" by default.........default size is
250MB, which is nice because you can save all of your settings without worrying......
however, if you would like puppy to be your primary OS, increasing the size of pup001
is a must......which has a max limit of about a gig (so I'm told). Now, your only other
alternative is to install puppy to HD, which is a real problem for linux noobs like myself.

slvrldy17
02-23-2006, 04:20 AM
Have been trying to get Puppy version 1.0.7 and 1.0.8 to work on my computer with very little success. There seems to be a bug in the way it handles detecting/using a USB mouse - using a Microsoft Intellimouse optical mouse and entering the requested parameters in the boot process results in a situation where the cursor will only move vertically in a somewhat jerky fashion and the mouse buttons are not registering at all. Mouse works fine with both Windows XP and Knoppix and I'm at a loss for ideas - the keyboard incidently works just fine but with no ability to point and click things don't work too well - anyone out there got any ideas?

slvrldy17
02-25-2006, 02:31 AM
While I'm not entirely sure why it appears that mouse types with a lot of extra bells & whistles - function keys/buttons, trackballs, etc. have the most problems. Two different, plain two button/scroll wheel type mice that I have tried work. At least I can get in and work with getting Puppy set up now.

pgluth1
03-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Must admit, Puppy Linux is one of my favorites. I have an aging p1-133 laptop that has no problem running Puppy - (though it is a solid Win98se machine too.)

I realize that part of Puppy's charm is its small size, 60 meg, I still like Knoppix based Damn Small Linux at 50 megs. - more up to date. However, I must add that there are many versions of Puppy, and Chubby Puppy has Firefox and Open Office included. I think it comes in at around 110 megs, but I confess I really like it. I don't need a lot of bloat, just a few bells and whistles.

DSL is knoppix based, but Chubby Puppy is really a full-featured distro.

slvrldy17
03-07-2006, 01:09 AM
If you go to the website www.puppylinux.org and use the links to the organizations web page and then the Wiki you will find links to many versions of Puppy - I'm currently using the minimalist "Empty Crust Puppy" that comes in at about 30 to 35MB and allows you to pick which applications you want from the pupget and dot pup files without having to deal with a lot of bloat/extras that you don't need or use. I'm also working with the Puppy 2.0 Alpha release that looks like it wil be a real winner despite some early bugs that wil likely be resolved in future releases. Worth your time to check these distros out.

irlandes
03-28-2006, 05:45 AM
Mandriva LE 2005 has a bug which means it cannot produce solid md5sums on burned iso's. I googled and found out it apparently is a kernel bug. I really hate reinstalls, since I have a LOT of stuff and have to back it up, then try to get it all back in, and also a lot of time to set it up otherwise the way I want it.

So, I wait a while before I start over.

With Puppy 1.0.6., I can install it to ram, and that small file (Not a partition) which can be deleted later, then pull the CD, and use the CD writer for solid iso burns.

That is so cool!

For the same reason, I am assuming a busted windows system, puppy could be used to pick off needed files and docs etc on a 1 CD machine system before reinstalling Windows (for those who have that desire, which alas is very many people.)

It seems incredible that so much can be done with that small amount of program. Note than there is a version of 1.0.5 which includes Openoffice.org, and is not much bigger than the basic system.

hinachan
08-01-2006, 05:18 AM
I've tried both Knoppix and Puppy Linux - running from live CD only, not installed to the hd. For my money Puppy is best, primarily because it is designed for a single user who runs as root. There is none of the password agony that Knoppix forces on you for no good reason. Puppy just seems to work, with a minimum of hassle. Of all the distros I've seen it's the only one I'd recommend to someone who didn't know anything about computers. I think that because of its simplified configuration it would stand the best chance of working, and when it doesn't work it would be the easiest to troubleshoot. It is ideal for learning Linux and for experts too.
I love Puppy, myself, though I've still never managed to get my printer to work with it. And it's an HP printer, which is on the list of printers that Puppy has drivers for. If I could just train my Puppy to do that, I'd be a happy dog owner. :D

I love Puppy and Knoppix for different reasons. I use both equally, depending on what I want to do during that particular session. I love the Opera browser, so I DL'ed the version of Puppy that includes it...so all 488 my bookmarks (most of which are Linux-related, LOL) can be quickly imported with a few mouse clicks!