PDA

View Full Version : Writting to a vfat HD

mangancha
04-16-2003, 05:35 PM
I am running Knoppix 3.2 from the CD on a pentium III system, with Windows millenium.

I am having problems saving stuff to my HD on /dev/hda2 mounted on /mnt/hda2. I get messages stating that the filesystem is read only.

I tried as root to change the file permission of the location I was trying to save to with chmod 777 SOMEFOLDER and I got the same message, that the filesystem is read only.

I looked at /etc/fstab, but I really do not know how or where it is specified that my HD has to be mounted as a read only filesystem; here it is:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

Any ideas. Thank you.

rickenbacherus
04-16-2003, 05:56 PM
I'm not in the habit of using Knoppix from the CD but I do believe it is possible to right click the icon representing your particular partition and select "read/write".

edit

You may need to 'umount' first before you can change read only to read/write.

Dave_Bechtel
04-16-2003, 06:20 PM
' mount /mnt/hda2 -oremount,rw ' as root. chmod won't work with a non-*NIX filesystem like fat32 or ntfs.

I am running Knoppix 3.2 from the CD on a pentium III system, with Windows millenium.

I am having problems saving stuff to my HD on /dev/hda2 mounted on /mnt/hda2. I get messages stating that the filesystem is read only.

I tried as root to change the file permission of the location I was trying to save to with chmod 777 SOMEFOLDER and I got the same message, that the filesystem is read only.

RockMumbles
04-16-2003, 07:18 PM
http://www.libranet.com/support/view.cgi?version=2.7&item=0155.html

the libranet link shows you how they set up a windows partition so it is writable;
they use:

defaults,umask=002,...

HTH

rock

mangancha
04-18-2003, 05:53 PM
Thank you.

I tried right clicking the hda2 icon, then properties... and then unchecking the READ ONLY box.... duuuuuh!

Thank you again. :D