PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot from new hard drive

Kowood
06-02-2005, 02:42 AM
I find myself to be quite dissatisfied with this small 3 gb harddrive, so I took a 20 gb hd that I got from someone who didn't need it, and stuck it in the hdc place (I ditched the cd-rom). I partitioned it, and used dd to put everything from the current partition (hdb1) to the new one (hdc1). Then I ran fs2resize (or something similar to that) on hdc1 to resize the thing. Then I turned off, took out the 3 gb hard drive, and put in the 20 gb hard drive. Then I booted, and it hung at the MBA screen, something to do with PXE....So I stuck the old one back in, and changed GRUB to have Linux be hd2,0 and added the root=/dev/hdc1 option. That didn't work either. So I stuck the hard drive in hdc (again ditching the cd-rom), and it made it past the bootloader, but still didn't work once it got to the kernel-panic-ness. This may be a case of a fuXxored hard drive...But what should I have in GRUB under the Linux boot option?

Kowood
06-02-2005, 02:44 AM
ehh....sorry about the double topics....i thought i did something bad with the [/code] at the end of the first, so i stopped mid-transmission....can a mod delete the first one or something?