PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for Knoppix

Databug
04-16-2003, 06:16 PM
I've wanted to try out Linux for a long time and I was recommended Knoppix. Needless to say I was very impressed and went out and Bought Mandrake within a couple of weeks. After a while, however, either Windows or a program on Windows corrupted the HD that mandrake was on. It took me best part of a week to repair my drive. I re-installed Mandrake about a month later but on a diffrent physical drive to Windows. Again same thing happened. I have since decided that it is a liability to run Linux together with Windows. I know many people do it but it just doesn't want to work for me. But on all those occasions it's thanks to Knoppix that I both still had an OS even though My hard-drives were trashed and I still had access to the net where I could ask for help. Now the only Linux I run is Knoppix. As I mostly use Windows anyway, Knoppix does enough for me to just play around with. I may re-consider installing Linux again but this time it will be on a drive all to itself. My experience of Knoppix has been ... It's a godsend. I've recommended it to all I know :D.

VeeDubb
04-17-2003, 03:08 AM
I'm working on going totaly linux. The only real problem I've found is my old games don't work for the most part, but WineX is getting a lot better these days. A year ago there were all of 5 or 6 games that were fully supported, now the fully supported list is getting pretty big and the mostly supported list is several hundred games now. Of course, that's just the documented ones. Many others work too.

A very helpful gentleman from the boards here mailed me a copy of mandrake downlaod edition and I couldn't get it to run, so I've done what is probably very stupid and purchased the power pack edition to see f that works.

Anyway, once I get a distro to do just a couple more things, which mandrake does if I can get it running, I'm going to erase my windows partition all together and just make it into another Linux partition. No more interoperability concerns, no more paying $300-$600 every 18 months to keep the current version of offise and another $100-$200 to keept he OS current.

It's just too expensive as a college student to spend that much on software when open soure is available. Also, I've heard the argument a million times, and even made it myself too many times to count, that it wa a bad idea to switch to linux because I had so much invested in Windows Software, but the reality is that I don't need the Win Software with linux because equivalent software is available for free. There's even autocad software. And what few things I need for school that only run in windows, like geometer's sketchpad work great under wine, so I'm going to go for it completely.

Databug
04-18-2003, 04:17 PM
>[quote="VeeDubb"]I'm working on going totaly linux. The only real >problem I've found is my old games don't work for the most part, but >WineX is getting a lot better these days.

When I first got Mandrake (the power pack). I used it almost exclusively for a good few months. I liked it very much but I found that there was a lot of fiddling. I followed a tutorial on how to get nice anti aliased fonts. then i followed a tutorial on how to play encrypted DVD's and one 9on getting the CDWriting software to correctly recognized my DVDRom. I never did find out how to burn a CD in Linux. It was that and support for Games and having good Music writing software like Reason and Cooledit, that got me back to using Windows as my main OS. When Windows eventually trashed my hard-drive I did re-install mandrake but I never set it up how I had it.

>No more interoperability concerns, no more paying $300-$600 every 18 >months to keep the current version of offise and another $100-$200 to >keept he OS current.

It is Microsofts attitude that largely makes me turn to Linux as well as the prices of course.

Having used Linux it has opened my mind to open source software and I use far more Linux/open source programs on Windows now

jwilds73
04-20-2003, 03:20 AM
Is Veedub also into VW's? besides my computers VW's and Motorcycles are my other hobbies. You can see my old 58 bug here http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jwilds73/lst?.dir=/Bug&.view=t

Jwilds

StyleWarz
04-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Yeah, Knoppix is just great... :D

Tortoise
05-23-2003, 07:34 AM
Invested in windows? Having spent good money on something bad isn't a good reason to carry on spending.
And honestly. Stop messing around with linux games. Spend the money you're not spending on MS on a playstation.

Databug
05-23-2003, 02:56 PM
Invested in windows? Having spent good money on something bad isn't a good reason to carry on spending.
And honestly. Stop messing around with linux games. Spend the money you're not spending on MS on a playstation.Personally I hate consoles. But it's not just the games that's a limitation. I find I can't quite get to grips with a number of Linux programs. I have never for instance got a CDWriter to produce a CD. Nero does it without any probs. I also write a lot of Music and I have not found a Linux program to compete with CoolEdit or Reason 2. I'm sure such programs will exsist one day which is why I'm keeping a very beady eye on Linux. The day that Linux can replace 99% of the programs on Windows will be the day I dump windows. Sure there are replcement s for most important stuff but much of it is still not as powerfull or as easy to use as the Windows equivalent IMO. But as an OS Linux wins hands down. I feel it just needs the software. Evidently M$ recognise many of the good features within Linux as they appear to be ripping more and more of it off and bunging it into Windows. Just an added comment I spend very little on games and programs for Windows. I spend even less on anything by Microsoft.