PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.8.2 or 3.9

lapel
06-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Well, isn`t this amazing that I just downloaded knoppix 3.8.2 one week back and now I found a link which shows that 3.9 is out too for download.

Here is the link

http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/

So if i download the 3.9 version,will I be able to update the current version or do i need to do complete full fresh installation?

Thanks

Lapel

Krogen
06-02-2005, 12:35 PM
I'd first read what's new in the 'new' version. If everything's works on your PC now, why bother? You can download a new kernel yourself, you can download new software, too.

I would upgrade only if I'd need to.

(Just checked:)

Changes vs. 3.8:

* OpenOffice 2.0 BETA (german and english)
* KDE 3.4
* Kernel 2.6.11 update
* dist-upgrade (all software packages from current Debian/sid)

I think I'll just download it just for the kernel update, since I have problems with that now.

lapel
06-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Well,will you download the whole iso file or is there any way to just download the kernel? and then how do you update the kernel ,would you please explain the procedure to me?

I have one problem with current version that my USRobotics 56K Message Modem is not getting configured ( may be I am making some mistake) but any way I like knoppix alot and if downloading the new version gives me any new features I would go for it`s download :)

Would you give any other expert opinions please.

Thanks

Regards

Lapel

shrek99
06-03-2005, 06:53 PM
3.9 seems to be buggy - see the News forum under 3.9

I can get two of three machines to run it - but with Fatal Error messages during bootup

On the third machine it hangs. There is a message "BIOS age fails cutoff" but it seems to get around that then goes into an endless loop with messages about missing data on hdd. The third machine still runs 3.82 (from the CD) and of course Windows finds no faults on the hd