PDA

View Full Version : Can share Win box, but not Knoppix box

Mattr35
06-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Well now that I'm networked and both computers can access the internet, I moved onto file sharing.

I was able to get it so I could see my WinXP box from my Linux box and I can see and access the shared files on my WinXP box using http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Smb_Client_HowTo.

But when I'm stuck when I try to share files on my Linux box now. I start the Samba server and enter the root PW but then nothing happens (I believe the problem lies in here since I should be asked at this point if I want to share my hardrive, correct?).
I right click on a folder in my home folder, select the Share tab, select the Shared radio button, click ok and I get failed.

Make sure that the Perl script 'fileshareset' is set to suid root.

I click on Configure File Sharing button on that same tab, enter my root PW, and nothing happens. Any ideas how I can get my windows box to see my linux box?

Thanks in advance for putting up with my newbiness :)

Matt

Mattr35
06-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Well I adjusted a bunch of stuff (too much to remember) and I now have Samba up and running and I can see the linux box from my windows machine.

Keithj
06-10-2005, 11:18 PM
i've just managed to get mine to do that - it wasn't easy.

First, you need to configure /etc/samba/smb.conf correctly. It may already be right.

Then, you create users on your system for the "names" of the machines you want to be able to access the Linux box.
You do it this way: assume you want machines called fred and ernie to access hte Linx machine,
open a root terminal, and type
sudo adduser --force-badname fred
sudo adduser --force-badname ernie
smbpasswd -a fred
smbpasswd -a ernie
and enter the password(s) you choose at each stage.
That creates a directory on the Linux box for each; that way, they can access it. There may be a better way, but I've not found it.

Then you go to K - Control Center - Internet and Network - Local Network Browsing and set up the details under Windows Shares and Lisa Daemon to match your system.

Then, you copy smb.conf to YOUR home directory (you can leave the original in /etc/samba/). Make sure the owner is YOU.

Then, you start Samba Server, which will ask you for the root password, then disappear again.

Then (and this is the bit I had trouble to find) you open a root terminal and type the following two lines:
smbd -D -s /home/<username>/smb.conf
nmbd -D -s /home/<username>/smb.conf

It's the last bit that tells Samba server that others can see your system.

It worked for me. A bit kludgy, but I have access from my two Windows machines.

Mattr35
06-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks Keith, I'll give all this a try.

Matt

justinmbarnes
03-22-2006, 06:59 AM
Thanks, this was helpful for me too.

shephe90210
06-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks!, helped me too!