PDA

View Full Version : One monitor but show 2 desktops after boot

alvb
06-03-2005, 03:18 AM
I have a dead windows machine from the daycare that I would like to get the data out of it. It is dead because of Virus. It will boot on Windows but not do much after that. I thought about using Knoppix to access the hard drive.

Problem: after Knoppix boot, on the monitor attached to it, I see 2 times the same instance of Knoppix, one on the right and one on the left side of the screen. If I move the mouse, the cursor will move in both. This is odd enough but it also makes it impossible to read the font on the screen. So I cannot rescue the data in any way.

I tried Slax live CD too and it does the same. Any reason. I am no expert, but did boot from live CD in the past with no problem. However, it is the machine of the daycare, so I do not know the spec of it, aside from the fact they were using windows, and it is now corrupted.

M.

tdjokic
06-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Try to change your display resolution. Go to K -> Control center -> Peripherals -> Display and do some experiments there.

CrashedAgain
06-05-2005, 11:15 PM
If all else fails boot 'knoppix2' and run in text mode to copy the files you need.