PDA

View Full Version : Video Problems On Boot W/ Version 3.8.2

Galume
06-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Hi,

I'm using the live CD, and burned a copy of 3.8.2. Previous version worked beautifully on my HP Vectra, but 3.8.2 will not initialize video. Tried different video modes/'scan'/failsafe, but none worked. "Failesafe" usually overcomes that problem on other machines. Video is an onboard Intel 82815. Detection says "Video Adapter VESA VGA".

After the screen that says "Starting single X-Window session for user knoppix..." the video output simply gets garbled and stays that way no matter what booth options I've tried. :shock:

Any ideas on why the new version doesn't detect or set up the video properly?

Galume

Galume
06-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Oh, BTW- I tried turning on DMA which I found used to be on by default in 3.7, and I also tried the CD on my IBM Netvista and it works great. Found a smiliar problem posted by RedButler- sorry I didn't see that earlier, :oops: but after you read that post one starts to think there's a development issue here. Anyone know why support for thr Intel 82815 chipset would have changed from 3.7 to 3.8?

barryhf
06-04-2005, 07:33 AM
Gateway E-1400 PC PIII 847 128 MB RAM

It autodetects intel 82810-DC100 (i810) using XFree86(i810) Server. This looks fine to me as a newbie.

It autodetects the monitor, but many combinations of resolutions still result in out-of-sync monitor (fuzzy screen). Tried two different monitors.

Any luck on 82810 chipsets?

I found an rpm at intel with linux drivers, but it's dated from long before the distro.

In the off-chance. how do I load the driver from the RPM onto a floppy for the modules-disk cheatcode?

Galume
06-04-2005, 09:14 PM
In a different post, rwcitek wrote ""One big difference between 3.7 and 3.8 was that 3.7 used the 2.4 kernel while 3.8 used the 2.6 kernel. Many drivers changed because of the kernel change."

I'm beginning to think that's why I can't get decent video display on any of the 3 computers I've tried in the last 3 days with 3.8.2. The developers need to seriously get thier priorities in order. Dropping drivers from the distro to make room so you can have 3 text editors and other duplicitous programs is clealy a bad move.

stupefiedgenius
06-05-2005, 11:34 PM
I've tried ver. 3.9 & 3.8 on my P3 800mhz and it appears to boot, asks to hit enter, then begins configuring, pauses, says there is a mode error, says to hit enter or choose mode, i've tried both paths, and this configures up until the sound card, then the screen flashes as it adjusts "for optimum settings" or w/e, then it says something regarding a x-window, then the screen turns in a tv w/ not signal (static) while it announces through the speakers it is loading, next its changes to a different static pattern, while the CD drive goes nuts, and finally the CD drive gives up and it remains static until you power off. Anyway, my next move is to try ver 3.7 and hopefully it should work.....

UnderScore
06-06-2005, 03:19 AM
I've tried ver. 3.9 & 3.8 on my P3 800mhz and it appears to boot, asks to hit enter, then begins configuring, pauses, says there is a mode error, says to hit enter or choose mode, i've tried both paths, and this configures up until the sound card, then the screen flashes as it adjusts "for optimum settings" or w/e, then it says something regarding a x-window, then the screen turns in a tv w/ not signal (static) while it announces through the speakers it is loading, next its changes to a different static pattern, while the CD drive goes nuts, and finally the CD drive gives up and it remains static until you power off. Anyway, my next move is to try ver 3.7 and hopefully it should work.....What video card do you have? What monitor do you have? We are unable to help you if we do not know what hardware you have. You've described the symptoms of the problem but we need more info. It sounds like knoppix is doing the best it can at autodetecting the video hardware (perhaps getting it wrong) & then setting a resolution & refresh rate that is beyond the capabilities of the hardware. Try booting knoppix with some Cheat Codes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes), such as:
knoppix screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60
knoppix screen=640x480 xvrefresh=60

I hope this helps.
James

stupefiedgenius
06-06-2005, 04:27 AM
thnx for the help but I just tried using ver 3.7 and it worked :-D I do have one problem w/ my internet connection but I have a feeling thats because I encrypted my wifi router (I can figure it out on my own later)