PDA

View Full Version : Begginer Trouble

Bubbs
06-04-2005, 02:22 AM
I am trying to run knoppix and the CD starts and everything but the screen runs a whole bunch of things and then it says "Starting Init" and then it runs some more stuff and ends up with the last line of code as "Couldn't Init, Try changing Option = Init to Kernel" or something close to that. Has anyone had this problem before and if so, how did they fix it?

Any help is much appreciated!

Bubbs

Bubbs
06-04-2005, 03:10 AM
Ok the exact phrase is "Kernel Panic. No init found. Try passing init = option to Kernel"

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bubbs

bigkahuna
06-04-2005, 07:03 AM
Bubbs,

I'm a n00b too, but my first guess is that you have a bad CD. A "kernel panic" means the system crashed, the "init" is part of the boot sequence. How did you get this CD? If you burned it yourself, you might try burning a new one. If you got it from another source, did it work in a different computer?

Hope this helps. Maybe someone with more experience can help a bit better than I...

Bubbs
06-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks I will try that!

Bubbs

Bubbs
06-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Ya its still not working...

I just noticed that before the kernel panic at the end, there is a whole bunch of Cloop errors and x amount of bytes are lost. Also if it helps I am buring at 16x speed using Nero...

Plz help I really want to get this working!

Bubbs

bigkahuna
06-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Bubbs,

I think 16x is too fast, try burning at a slower speed. In fact, try burning at the slowest speed you can set it to. Also do a search of this forum, I believe this topic has been discussed before.

Bubbs
06-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Thanks I'll Try!

Bubbs

Bubbs
06-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Nope still not working...I tried it on another computer too but nothing...

Thanks for Tryin, I guess im stuck with windows!

Bubbs

bigkahuna
06-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Nope still not working...I tried it on another computer too but nothing...

Thanks for Tryin, I guess im stuck with windows!

Bubbs

Naw, don't give up that easy! :wink:

Two more suggestions (keep in mind I'm a n00b too):

1. Try re-downloading the file and then burn at a slow speed. I'm still thinking something got corrupted on the CD someplace.

2. Repost your questions on this forum with a title like: "Kernel Panic during boot with v3.8" or something like that. Include the version of Knoppix and as much info about your computer, details of how you burned the CD and the error messages as you can. This is more likely to catch the eye of one of the gurus that hang out here...

Don't worry, it'll be fixed but it may take a bit more effort.

babelbrennt
06-10-2005, 10:08 PM
I had a similar problem and copied it at 4x using Nero and copied Disc at once. Don't know if that'll help any