PDA

View Full Version : K3B won't recognise .ogg files!

fingers99
04-17-2003, 12:05 AM
This is with 3.1, folks.

What am I missing here? I D & D an ogg file into the K3B box and a dialogue box pops up screaming:

"(/home/knoppix/music/Romani/Acquaraglia_Drom-Ahi_Mia_Titina.ogg)
Only MP3, Ogg Vorbis and WAV audio files are supported."

But it is an ogg file and every other burner I've ever used on Linux recognises it as such (and xmms on this Knoppix install plays it just fine).

What's happening?

Cheers

John

rickenbacherus
04-17-2003, 04:33 AM
I'm no software testing expert and i couldn't write enough code to make a cursor blink but I have always thought K3b to have a few bugs. Have you tried cdrecord?

cdrecord -scanbus
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'SONY ' 'CD-RW CRX100E ' '2.0h' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) 'HITACHI ' 'DVD-ROM GD-2500 ' '0101' Removable CD-ROM
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *

cd /the_directory_that _contains_your_.oggs

cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0 -audio track*.ogg

Want to give it a test run before burning a coaster?
cdrecord -v -dummy speed=4 dev=0,0 -audio track*.ogg

Of course you can change speed=? whatever speed your drive is.

I like to use cdrecord because on my machine 550Mhz w/256M I can do several other things while I roasted a disc. In windows - fugetta bout it. :D

fingers99
04-17-2003, 05:22 AM
I've used cdrecord, but the really silly thing is that with K3B I actually found a Linux gui app which would handle data CDs really well (in the past I've used KreateCD to do the music files but never worked out how to get it to do data files!). Sheesh. I like GUIs, I guess!

I'll drop a line to the developer, see if he has any ideas. :cry:

aay
04-17-2003, 06:10 AM
Hmm... not sure what the problem is. Can't say for sure it's K3B, but I have to agree with rickenbacherus that I have found k3b to be a bit flaky. I keep wanting to use it, but I keep going back to cdrecord. Cdrecord is pretty cool and in some ways it's nicer than gui tools since you can burn across a network. I have made some short aliases in my bashrc file so that when i want to blank a cd I just type "blank" and when I want to burn I just type "burn name_of_file.iso".

I also made one for backup purposes. It makes backing up my files quite easy. All I need to do is open a shell and type "backup" and my home directory is on a CDRW.

Here's the backup alias (the others are easy enough, but I'll throw them in nonetheless). You can also put in a line to tar and zip your home directory before you use mkisofs to take the iso image if you need to, but I don't use this.

alias backup='cdrecord blank=fast dev=0,0,0 ;mkisofs -J -r -o /home/me/backup.iso /home/me ;cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 /home/me/backup.iso ;rm -rf /home/me/backup.iso'

alias blank='cdrecord blank=fast dev=0,0,0'
alias burn='cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0'

fingers99
04-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Nice aliases: I'll copy them to a text file and use them!

The issue with K3B might have something to do with version numbers: there's an 8.1 for woody (and in source) but Sid only has 7.5. (Wierd, eh?)

If I can get synaptic to unload 7.5 I'll try a source build of 8.1. Fingers crossed!

fingers99
04-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Built 8.1 and still get the same error. :(

Damn thing burns fine from mp3s though.

Currently waiting for Sourceforge to wake up and send me an account so I can post a bug.