PDA

View Full Version : Newbie can't connect to Internet with Netgear USB Adapter

tstrickland
06-05-2005, 04:56 AM
KNOPPIX doesn't connect to my wireless Internet system. I have a Netgear WG121 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter on this computer. The system works fine in Windows XP, but not KNOPPIX LINUX. :(

As a newbie, I don't have a clue as to what to do. Any suggestions will definitely be welcome.

Thank you!

RedCharlie
07-01-2005, 04:35 PM
I've had mixed luck with the netgear wg121 using ndiswrapper and knoppix 3.8.1, currently my system is very unstable.

system: ECS K7S5A, AMD duron 950, 256MB, Knoppix 3.8.1 HD install, using the ndiswrapper that came with the install (1.1r3)

The basic setup was fairly simple. I mounted the netgear cd, and installed the inf file from the ndis directory on the cd (using ndiswrapper -i). I then ran ndiswrapper -m to add an alias somewhere, then added a stanza, specifying ESSID and mode, for wlan0 to my /etc/network/interfaces file (redhat seems to use /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0).

using wlcardconfig or iwconfig (or iwpriv) to set parameters, however, seems to have no affect. I seem to get one chance to set things in /etc/network/interfaces and that's it.

But my wlan0 stanza in /etc/network/interfaces gets things working on bootup, and (almost) always connects to my ESSID (and not my neighbors').

But if I try to use ssh (like scp of a large file) over the network, and the system crashes. Merely web browsing can trigger it as well, but not nearly as quickly. I've tried setting my router to 802.11b, and my system was stable for a bit longer, but only a bit. (I get nothing in logfiles, just an "Oops" on a tty if I'm on one)

I haven't tried WEP yet either.