PDA

View Full Version : Error: No Suitable X-Server found

jefwic
06-06-2005, 03:01 AM
Ok, here is what I know. Any help would be appreciated. btw, I am running a Dell Inspiron 1150.

I see the following messages - and I did figure out how to use the cheat codes:

You passed an undefined mode number
..later on..
modprobe: Fatal: could not read /lib/modules/2.6.11/kernel/drivers/input/evdev.to
..later on.
Starting X11..
Retrying with the Server XFree86 (ves)
Retrying with the Server XFree86 (fsdev)
Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card.

Tested cheat codes (none solved problem, but vga=normal resolves the undefined mode number error):
xmodule=nv
vga=normal
xvrefresh=60
acpi=off

Also have tried failsafe, same errors. I am using Knoppix Live-CD 3.9.

I don't know much about linux, but its not booting into the GUI (everything works fine on my other computer, a desktop, however I need it on my laptop).

I will also try running lspci -v and post results.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Jeff

Living Backwards
06-06-2005, 02:52 PM
I have the same problem but with different hardware. My computer is a Gateway desktop using Intel graphics chip i82815. Knoppix versions up to 3.7 work on this computer. I have not tried 3.8.2. I did notice that the hardware detection in 3.9 detected my monitor as a different brand. I do not know what make or model the other version of Knoppix used for my monitor because they just worked.

I have no answers but am hoping someone might have a clue. I haven't tried the no hardware detection cheat code yet. You could try that to see what happens.

jefwic
06-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Darn, I really would like to install linux on my computer instead of windoze (i'm planning 2 partitions). I really need some help. It is possible that I have the same graphics card as you, I believe its Intel but onboard. Not sure what to do. Linux gurus please help.

Thanks,
Jeff

c60
06-07-2005, 01:45 AM
I get the same error message, but X comes up just with the mouse cursor and the bad background, but thats it.

I've got a shuttle SB61G

Geforce 5700LE and
onboard intel extreme 256

The strange thing is knoppix's log says it detected an intel video card and so go agpgart in dmesg, but the X comes up on the Geforce's monitor. I havn't checked if there is actually output from the intel card.