PDA

View Full Version : personalize my hdd install

gil
06-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Hi
I am a new user of this forum. When use knoppix I can choose which window manger to start (kde, fluxbox,icewm ecc...) . but when knoppix it is installed the software on hd is always the same one. It is possible to personalize the software to install?
Thank's

borru
06-06-2005, 06:13 PM
i just relised that too
tried out all 3 options
*debian like
*beginner
*knoppix like
all these came with same soft installed.
and i didn't see any difference between debian like and beginner installs :roll:

Krogen
06-07-2005, 03:08 AM
I'm not completely sure what beginner is but there are some major differences between debian install and knoppix.

When you install debian you have a custom version of debian linux... Pretty much. You can have multiple accounts and all the stuff. Linux loads normally.

As far as the Knoppix install goes, you don't have the "choose your user account" option at the start-up and there is an automatic hardware detection, just like from the cd.

I tried installing the debian version (twice) and it didn't work how I wanted it to. Had some major driver issues, which I did not have when I was running from a cd.

Then I installed the Knoppix like from cd version and it was way better. Everything worked except the drivers for my NV6800.

So, finally, I ended up with Kanotix. Way happier now. All games work, my printer, drivers... Everything. Though I must say that I had problems running Kanotix from CD. Kept freezing. Why? No idea. It still does.