PDA

View Full Version : Nervous Knoppix Newbie

PlantPerson
06-06-2005, 09:01 PM
I just got a CD in the mail today of Knoppix 3.9, and I have a few questions before I get started.

-Will X Windows/KDE start by itself, or do I have to start it manually. My main question here is, what happens when Knoppix boots?

-Is it true that this edition can write to NTFS? Should I back up NTFS data before trying it?

-How will this react to my USB mouse?

-When is it safe to remove the CD?

bigkahuna
06-06-2005, 10:16 PM
I haven't booted from CD for a while (I did a HD install a few months back), but from the top of my head:

-Will X Windows/KDE start by itself, or do I have to start it manually. My main question here is, what happens when Knoppix boots?
Boot it up and find out! ;) Seriously, yes it will automatically detect and configure your system.

-Is it true that this edition can write to NTFS? Should I back up NTFS data before trying it?
DO NOT write to NTFS with any Linux Distro! You can read NTFS without any problems. You do not need to back up anything if you are just booting and running from CD.

-How will this react to my USB mouse?
It should find it and configure it automatically... it found mine!

-When is it safe to remove the CD?
When you exit your session (right click on desktop and select from menu) and shut down the system, it will eject the CD for you.

PlantPerson
06-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Cool! Thanks for your answers.

PlantPerson
06-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Ok, I tried it out... it seems pretty neat...
I have a Linux partition in place already from SuSE 9, which I damaged and have been unable to fix. I noticed that there was an icon in Knoppix which said, "Create a persistant Knoppix disk image." This would store settings for knoppix, correct?
Can I put it on the Linux partition that exists already?