PDA

View Full Version : remastering problem in /etc/skel with knoppix 3.9

GunSmoke
06-06-2005, 10:29 PM
I have remastered knoppix 3.9 with UnderScore's way. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867)
But after remastering, I got a big problem.
I can't change directory to my '/etc/skel'. If I do that my system will be dead.
like this

cd /etc/skel/.kde
ls <- system is frozen

also /etc/skel cant rsync to /home/knoppix
so when I boot with my remastered cd, there's basic KDE interface and default fonts set.

what's the problem?? and How can I solve it?

GunSmoke
06-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Ofcourse, My cd and cd writer are OK, perfect.
I have tested in 3 CDRW, and 1 CDR

kahuna
06-07-2005, 10:32 AM
I have remastered knoppix 3.9 with UnderScore's way. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867)
But after remastering, I got a big problem.
I can't change directory to my '/etc/skel'. If I do that my system will be dead.
like this

cd /etc/skel/.kde
ls <- system is frozen

also /etc/skel cant rsync to /home/knoppix
so when I boot with my remastered cd, there's basic KDE interface and default fonts set.

what's the problem?? and How can I solve it?

Probably it's a crash of unionfs. Check the kernel messages with dmesg and look for a unionfs crash.

UnderScore
06-07-2005, 03:34 PM
I did some remastering & testing with Knoppix 3.9 with my HOWTO & I too have ran into the same problem that Gunsmoke had mentioned. I checked with diff the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xession from both Knoppix 3.8.1 & Knoppix 3.9 and they are the same. So if it is not the 45xession (which populates the /home/knoppix/) causing the problem then Kahuna is probably very correct in that it is unionfs causing problems. I will continue to investigate this.

James

knopx4me
06-09-2005, 03:35 PM
I have overcomed this problem by doing the following:

Instead of doing the following after the costimising my new version:
code:
rm -rf /etc/skel
mv -Rp /home/knoppix /etc/skel
chown -R root:root /etc/skel

I did the following:

I did not delete /etc/skel
I copied all the hidden folders in /home/knoppix to /etc/skel.
I cpied .kderc to /etc/skel
chown -R root:root /etc/skel
chown -R knoppix:knoppix /home/knoppix/.kde/share/config
chown -R knoppix:knoppix /home/knoppix/.kde/share/apps

And I got all working. But still there is a problem with /UNIONFS/etc like in the original Knoppix 3.9 as I mentioned on my post.