PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good idea?

Krogen
06-07-2005, 03:00 AM
I have the newest 32 bit Kanotix installed on my hard drive (just removed Knoppix). I found out that Kanotix works way better as a HD Linux. I also have a Windows XP installed.

So, anyways, when I made my Kanotix partition I set it up so it has only 10 gigs of my hard drive. Fine for Kanotix itself but, heck, if I'd like to install UT2004 (PC game) on this partition, I'd probably run out of space. I already have Doom 3 installed and don't want to overload the whole thing too much.

I tried playing with qtparted and partition magic on Windows but I couldn't manage to resize my Kanotix partition since all of the partitions take up the whole 120GB hard drive. So I resized my Windows XP partition (which was about 100 GB) to 35 gigs. When it finally finished the "free" space was labelled as "unallocated" on sda1 (windows). The problem is, you can't make an "unallocated" space into anything. How should I go about making or resizing my current Kanotix partition? Should I make a new FAT32 partition? Would that decrease the performace?

This is how the space is distributed on my hard drive....
sda1 [about 100GB] Windows
sda2 [10GB] ---removed Knoppix---
sda3 [512MB] Swap
sda4 [10GB] Kanotix

Thanks for help!