PDA

View Full Version : [b]Kmix in Knoppix 3.9 not retaining volume.[/b]

no_name
06-07-2005, 09:05 AM
I installed Knoppix 3.9 to HD on the weekend but I'm having problems with ALSA and Kmix. When I boot up, I get the following line:
`Setting up ALSA.../etc/init.d/alsa warning, alsactl restore failed with error messages: alsactl load_state:1267. No sound cards found...done.’
I did run alsaconf and alsamixer, and alsactl store. But it appears that the settings are not being restored at boot-up. Nonetheless, I’m still able to listen to my music CD’s, so this doesn’t appear to be a fatal error. But it still bugs me...
Also, I increased both Master and PCM volume to 100% in Kmix, but when I reboot it’s back to the original low volume. Interestingly, I note that this problem also exists in Knoppix 3.8.1. Actually, the last Knoppix release that didn’t give me this kind of problem was Knoppix 3.6. Am I the only one encountering this problem (as I can’t seem to find a solution in the Forum), and if not, what’s the solution?
By the way, OOo 2.0 seems unable to run a spellcheck on fonts other than Bitstream Vera Sans (and one or two other fonts). For instance, I prefer the Times font, but I cannot use it because OOo 2.0 is unable to run spellcheck.
Other than that, OOo 2.0 shows a lot of promise and I have a feeling that it’s going to help push Linux adoption. KDE 3.4 is also a fantastic environment. All in all, Knoppix still manages to be an impressive distro though one still has to tinker about!
All the best!

no_name
06-10-2005, 07:58 AM
An apparent solution for my Kmix problem: install the Kmix package from the `testing’ (now `stable', I guess) branch as opposed to Knoppix’s unstable branch.