PDA

View Full Version : no network

AugustQ
06-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Hi,

my next problem: after booting I have no network.

My machine contains 2 network-cards: eth0 (for DSL) and eth1 (for my little LAN).
dmesg tells me:
eth0: RealTek RTL8139
eth1: RealTek RTL8139

ifconfig tells me nothing. As root I can enter

ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.100 up

now I can ping to my 2nd PC and this works (the other direction works too).

I connot configure eth0, not via ifconfig nor via
K -> Netzwerk/Internet -> Netzwerkkarten konfigurieren
Using the last program I receive the following message:
eth0: failed to connect to localhost:bootpc
There might be antoher pump running.
Operation failed.

So my problems are:
#1: I cannot configure eth0
#2: after booting everything is lost

Any tips?
Thanks.
AugustQ

PS: here is what I found:
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth1 eth0
iface lo inet loopback

auto dsl-provider eth1 eth0
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
provider dsl-provider

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast .255

iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.0.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.254

To me this looks incorrect: eth0 gets its address vai the DSL-modem, eth1 looks fine.

Harry Kuhman
06-07-2005, 05:18 PM
You're connecting irectly to a DSL modem? Does it have a router built in? If not and you insist on doing it that way you will need to run PPPoE software on your system. My susgestion is do yourself a big favor and use a simple inexpensive home DSL/cable router. These are very cheap now (Memorial day weekend saw several different brands including Linksys selling for under $10 after rebate). They will take care of PPPoE for you, do DHCP, and give you a safe and secure local network where multiple computers can use your DSL connection at the same time.

AugustQ
06-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Harry,

the OSes running here on this machine are: Windows XP, Linux (SuSE 9.0) and (maybe) Debian via Knoppix 3.8.1.

I have 2 network cards on this machine: one connects to the hub and then to the other 2 machines. The other connects to the DSL-modem. This is working for XP and SuSE and I try to make it work for Debian/Knoppix.

The advantage of this approach is that I can simply change the harddisk and nothing else.

In the near future I want to add a WLAN-card which I already own. I also have a router to connect via WLAN to this router and then to the internet. The reason I'm looking for Debian is that there is no driver for my WLAN-card for Linux so I have to use the ndis-wraper delivered with Knoppix.

And not to forget: even if I use a router as you suggested I still have the problem that I do not have a network after booting my machine. I have to configure it manually after every boot (not needed with the SuSE-version).
So my question still is: where do I have to look at? At SuSE these things look diferrent, at least I didn't find the file /etc/network/interfaces .

AugustQ

AugustQ
06-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Hi,

I played a bit around with my network-problems and I got a partial solution:

after boot I have eth1 working so my little LAN works.

But I cannot connect to the internet via my DSL-modem.

After boot I can check my network-cards: ifconfig tells me
eth1 and lo are running

When I now enter
pon dsl-provider
I have also eth0 and ppp0 running and (as a test) I can ping some web-sites.

The problem is: now I have always an internet-connection.
What I want to achieve is:
- I have eth0 running
- by starting some script (or click onto an icon) I can establish an internet-connection and close it this way.

What do I have to do?
Thanks
AugustQ

PS: maybe I'm a bit too SuSE-centric because my SuSE 9.0-machine works this way.