PDA

View Full Version : deleting file on ntfs volume

Gary
06-07-2005, 09:18 PM
I am totally new to linux unfortuately, I have lived a windows lifestyle. I heard about knoppix booting from cd, so i donwloaded it, and i am trying to delete something from the ntfs partition. Windows keeps blue screening because there is no free space on the HDD. When I boot knoppix and try to delete something I get this error, Could Not Delete File /*/*/*.***

Could someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks

Harry Kuhman
06-07-2005, 09:57 PM
The concept is very simple, don't try to write or delete files on an NTFS partition with Knoppix. Doing so, if you manage to get Knoppix to do it, will corrupt your disk.

ruymbeke
06-07-2005, 10:28 PM
I am totally new to linux unfortuately, I have lived a windows lifestyle. I heard about knoppix booting from cd, so i donwloaded it, and i am trying to delete something from the ntfs partition. Windows keeps blue screening because there is no free space on the HDD. When I boot knoppix and try to delete something I get this error, Could Not Delete File /*/*/*.*** Could someone point me in the right direction. Thanks
Have a look at this:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19243&start=10
Good luck and let me know... Gilles

axopro
06-10-2005, 05:28 AM
download and use ERD commander ...Cough*** Emule Cough** it is a bootable cd for windows with tools to repair your windows installation and also a file manager to delete the files you want.
Good luck..

UnderScore
06-10-2005, 12:19 PM
download and use ERD commander ...Cough*** Emule Cough** it is a bootable cd for windows with tools to repair your windows installation and also a file manager to delete the files you want.
Good luck..Are you suggesting that he violate international copright law by Cough** pirating Cough** ERD? :shock:

We do not advocate any sort of unlawful distribution of copyrighted works. :!: