PDA

View Full Version : Hangs loading X

johnnabn
06-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Knoppix seems to be loading okay, informs me that X is starting.
Then a strange looking screen with the planet earth, an astronaut, skip track/play controls(just an image, of course), and a Knoppix logo appears. Eventually a mouse cursor comes up and I can use it fine.
But then it just sits. There are no signs of a Window Manager trying to start, and no keys or mouseclicks do anything. I can access the other TTY's and they seem usable, but very slow.
Neither the CDRom nor the Hard Drive show any access.
I've searched this forum and the internet, and can't find anything specifically about this issue.

I have Athlon 1800+, NVidia Geforce MX440, TDK CD-Rom, Asus A7V266 motherboard, no strange hardware I can think of. I have successfully installed numerous other distros without any problems.

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
Johnnabn

UnderScore
06-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Try booting knoppix with some Cheat Codes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes), such as:
knoppix dma acpi=off

I hope this helps.
James

johnnabn
06-09-2005, 10:09 PM
thanks for the help.

I eventually got it boot.
For whatever reason it only seems to work once every 4 or 5 boots

Without any changing any options I have several boots go the same way as the first, a few that just failed to load even to that point, and one even froze immediately after launching it from the cd

So I turned my computer off, waited 30 minutes, and then it worked fine. I'm not sure if I have a heating issue or what, but I got working now.

Thanks a lot,
Johnnabn

Harry Kuhman
06-09-2005, 10:46 PM
For whatever reason it only seems to work once every 4 or 5 boots
What speed did you burn your CD at?

Chmee
08-24-2005, 01:33 PM
I think I have a similar problem. First of all I've installed Knoppix 3.9 to my HD. X session seems to start correctly, with the logon screen and so on. When I try to logon the starting sequence is initiated with that fancy picture and the progress report. Sometimes, particullary when the system is being rebooted, it hangs on the second icon. I believe it's something like 'starting services'. I also think the problems started when I attempted to launch a KDE session as a root (closed X, logged on as root and re-started X).
Cheers; Chmee

UnderScore
08-24-2005, 06:16 PM
You installed Knoppix 3.9 to the HD and now its is not running off the CD? Then unless you already have done so, you will need to fix the networking. There is a bug documented as #15 http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/3.9-2005-05-27 and can be resolved by entering the command as root user:
ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean

This bug is known to make Knoppix boot and load up very slowly. A reboot should indicate if it hasd been resolved.