PDA

View Full Version : Locking up not playing nice Box :(

black_out
06-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Well I just built a new Knoppix box and I have been trying to load stuff and it behaves sometimes. Right now I am in the bios checking the tempatures for the CPU and the system. It isnt overheating but its not staying very cool either. It is possible my Hard-drive is overheating but it doesnt feel abnormally hot to me. Steady tempature for the CPU is 93f and 100f for the box.

Basically the thing locks up on me randomly when I am apt-get installing and when I click on the little K icon just randomly sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Perhaps I am getting some sort of error but I wouldnt know because I havent been able to get into the system.log files yet.

Any suggestions to what may be the cause would be very helpful.

UnderScore
06-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Is this a HD installed system or a running from CD system. Knoppix 3.9 from CD is buggy and installing programs in a running system may crash that system. If this is a HD installed system, have you look into using something like xsensors http://freshmeat.net/projects/xsensors/ to check the temps on a running system? Definitly get a chance to check the logs.
I look forward to you running a stable system :)

James

black_out
06-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Well I am backup and running and btw it is a hard-drive install of 3.8 I started playing with hardware. I figured it to be some bad RAM. so I am running on half RAM now 256 but its still working well. Also thanks I got Xsensors and its pretty nifty.