PDA

View Full Version : Don't have permission to read windows files

madscene
06-09-2005, 04:19 AM
I saw a posting on this here, but it didn't seem to resolve my issue. Let me first get it out in the open that I am a total Knoppix noob, and nowhere near a linux guru - having only some basic Unix/xWindows/Linux experience.

My windows xp pro machine died, wouldn't boot at all. Friends at my work recommended knoppix. I got knoppix up and running and was delighted to see it access my fried drive. Problem is, the data I need most, my user data in "documents and settings" has a lock icon and reads that it is 0 bytes. Other users that aren't my primary user do not have this and I can browse their data. I tried accessing as root, which removed the lock icon and let me "try" to change permissions, but it doesn't work (says I can't change permissions) and still says I lack permission to get in. I'm wondering if there is a way around this, or does this mean that data is corrupted? It seems strange - my "program files' folder has the same problem, but I can access a bunch of other (unfortunately unimportant to me) data on the drive. Only one partition is having this problem - the other is fully accessible, even by a windows machine if I load it as a slave drive.

Anyone know if I can get to this data?

Thanks!

Harry Kuhman
06-09-2005, 04:55 AM
My windows xp pro machine died, wouldn't boot at all. ..... I'm wondering if there is a way around this, or does this mean that data is corrupted? It seems strange - my "program files' folder has the same problem, but I can access a bunch of other (unfortunately unimportant to me) data on the drive. Only one partition is having this problem - the other is fully accessible, even by a windows machine if I load it as a slave drive.

Anyone know if I can get to this data?

Thanks!
I don't think it means that your data is corrupted. XP, pro version only, has a "feature" that lets you protect data so that it can only be read by the logged in owner (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/top10.mspx)(item 3 in the link). This is a security issue, there might be some way to still access such secured files by Knoppix, but if there is then I expect that people would be complaining that Microsoft has yet another serious security flaw. So sorry, I can try to comfort you that I don't think your files have been corrupted, but I'm not sure how you can now read them. They are safely encrypted.

madscene
06-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Nooooooooooooooo! That's not what I want to hear :-/ I wonder why my windows machine can't read it at ALL and gives me all kinds of chkdsk errors when I boot it as a slave drive. I haven't tried booting to another drive in safe mode with the failing drive as a slave, maybe I'll try that. Sounds like I have to access it via windows or I'm screwed. Sucks.

Harry Kuhman
06-09-2005, 05:07 PM
with the failing drive as a slave, maybe I'll try that.
I have my doubts that that would or should work either. Personally if it did I would consider it another security flaw, as it would give someone who steals the computer an easy way to access the "secure" data. Still, Windows isn't know for well thought out security, so I can't say it will not work. What I would recommend is that you do a lot of research into this security feature of XP pro before you do anything more to try to read the data. A good understanding of what they are doing and how they key the data might be your best (and only) way of really recovering it.

I always wonder about people who use the more expensive XP pro over XP home. I have a friend who has insisted on paying more for XP pro (and she really can't afford to do that), but has never been able to state to me why she believes she needs it. When I speak to her about technical differences between the two, she acts like I'm talking a different language that she can't comprehend. Yet she has to have XP pro. If my theory about why you can't access the files is right, then it's hard to understand that you would use the more expensive XP pro, have set it up to encrypt your important files, and then be surprised and unhappy that someone can't just walk up with a Knoppix CD and read those encryped file. That's exactly what you paid extra for.

Take comfort in this: The files were not important. Let alone well known "My XP system will no longer boot" issues, Hard drive fail (I had two fail in the last 7 days). If data on a hard drive is important, then it will certainly have been backed up. Since it wasn't backed up it must not have been important.

madscene
06-10-2005, 12:15 AM
I needed XP pro for the remote desktop features, and I believe some other IIS features that weren't available in home. I'm a programmer, and needed to have these features. I was told what I needed wasn't available in XP home. As for backing up - yes, I'm a total dope for not backing up my email. All my other important files were on separate drives, and backed up - but I switched to Outlook about a year ago and stupidly did not regularly back it up. And I'm kicking myself for it now obviously!