PDA

View Full Version : Refresh Rate

bateto_007
04-17-2003, 06:56 AM
How to make Refresh rate 75 or 85Hz in 1024x768

Stephen
04-17-2003, 07:48 AM
If you are using KDE the K menu -> Settings -> Control Panel -> XDisplay.

bongski55
04-23-2003, 06:43 AM

I am using Knoppix3.2 but I do not have "Control Panel" mentioned above. Only "control Center" which does not have " XDisplay".

I also want to change the refresh rate to remove the flicker.

Stephen
04-23-2003, 07:22 AM

I am using Knoppix3.2 but I do not have "Control Panel" mentioned above. Only "control Center" which does not have " XDisplay".

Try in Peripherals. note: if you are using CD you have to set the root password Xdisplay requires the password (in a console window sudo passwd then enter your password).

bongski55
04-23-2003, 08:18 AM
Try in Peripherals. note: if you are using CD you have to set the root password Xdisplay requires the password (in a console window sudo passwd then enter your password).

Thanks for the quick replay Stephen,

Tried your suggestion,yes xdisplay was there but what is this password? I went to the Readme file about security and it says that there is no default password and evrything is locked.What does this mean?Also how to create new user as root?

Sorry but I am a complete beginner to this OS.

bongski55
04-23-2003, 08:51 AM

Okay I solved my problem thru a post by "aay" which I am copying here:

"Try this.

Open a console.

Type: "sudo kxconfig"
Change your rez.
Save and Close kxconfig
In the console type 'init 3' (this will kill x but won't shut knoppix down)
type init 5 (or startx)

Your rez should be changed.

The newest version of Knoppix has kxconfig I'm not sure about previous versions."

There is a menu for changing the refresh rate.

Stephen
04-23-2003, 09:08 AM
Tried your suggestion,yes xdisplay was there but what is this password? I went to the Readme file about security and it says that there is no default password and evrything is locked.What does this mean?Also how to create new user as root?

Sorry but I am a complete beginner to this OS.

There are no passwords set on the CD but you can open a console window and type sudo passwd then enter and type in the password you want then any program like Xdisplay which requires one will work when you enter the password you set.

You can not add a new user to the CD.

bongski55
04-23-2003, 11:20 AM
There are no passwords set on the CD but you can open a console window and type sudo passwd then enter and type in the password you want then any program like Xdisplay which requires one will work when you enter the password you set.

What is the difference with using "sudo kxconfig" and going thru the root password and changing settings after that?

Stephen
04-23-2003, 06:02 PM

What is the difference with using "sudo kxconfig" and going thru the root password and changing settings after that?

There is really no difference you are doing the same thing. If you set a password then any program which requires a root password will work when you enter the password you set instead of using the console with sudo.