PDA

View Full Version : Can I use klik without internet ??!!

rangalo
06-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi everybody,

I am using knoppix 3.8.2 as a poor man's install and want to install some libraries for C++ programming.. the problem is my knoppix pc is not connected to internet ...so, I can download some files from library of the university and then use it at home... is it possible to install stuff like this on knoppix .. and if possible please tell me how ?

thanks in anticipation.
Hardik

probono
06-09-2005, 11:23 AM
klik installs neccessary libraries along with the applications that need them, but klik is not designed to install libraries on their own. You can klik an application on the PC with Internet and then transfer the cmg file to the PC without Internet, and it will work.

Greetings,
probono

rangalo
06-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks Probono,

actually I want to install SDL libraries for graphics programming with C++ .. is it possible to get them installed ?

and I also wanted to know whether any alternative library is already available on knoppix live cd .

Hardik

rangalo
06-10-2005, 11:17 AM
And yes, I tried to download the .cmg files from the klik website but i always see a dead end i think because in the university we are having windows machines...and does that mean that I cannot download .cmg files from a windows machine and transfer it to my linux pc at home ???

thanks,
Hardik

probono
06-11-2005, 12:19 PM
You cannot download the cmg files with a windows machine, since they are dynamically created on the (Linux) client, and specific to the Linux distribution you are running.

Greetings,
probono

rangalo
06-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Is there any other way to install SDL development libraries ?

may be some application that requires these libraries ??

thanks
Hardik

bfree
06-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Is there any other way to install SDL development libraries ?

may be some application that requires these libraries ??

There's an option like print-uris for apt-get which just lists the resources you need. So if you do "apt-get install --download-only --print-uris dsl-packages" (I'm making that up a bit, check man apt-get) you can get the list of files you need to download from your windows machine. When you have them, you can copy them into /var/cach/apt on your knoppix and do the apt-get install now and it will find them to install them. All this assumes you use unionfs with knoppix so you can update the system.

Good Luck, sorry these instructions aren't perfect but hopefully it will give you the idea.